Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install mdk10.1 community and have gotten further than with other distros but it hangs. The hang comes after it's run through all the prelimary info ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install hangs at install of sil3112

I have been trying to install mdk10.1 community and have gotten further than with other distros but it hangs. The hang comes after it's run through all the prelimary info then goes to gui. At the initial prompt it will say it's loading the drivers for my sil 3112 sata raid driver but stops right there. I reboot & try using 'linux noapic' at the F1 option. It will not hang after that but it doesn't recognize the raid after that. It will show both sda & sdb but will show an error and say that it's going to use them seperately.

Of course I've been going through this for a while & the search function is down so this might have been covered but google didn't reveal anything so any help would be well appreciated.

AMD 3k, Gigabyte 7n400 pro2, 2 wd raptor 10k 36 gig sata drives run in raid 0. winxp occupies the same drives and runs fine.

Linux Newbie
    use the install command linux noprobe.
    NOTE: you may first need the promise driver. Install it off a floppy just like in windows.
    Hope this helps..

Just Joined!
    i tried hitting f1 and putting in "linux dd hde=noprobe hdg=noprobe" -quotes of course but it still tried to use it's own drivers for the install of the sata raid chip. is there something i'm missing here that i should have tried?

thanks for the quick response btw.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Just Joined!

WEhat happens when the installation is done?

Quote Originally Posted by daemonOS
    use the install command linux noprobe.
    NOTE: you may first need the promise driver. Install it off a floppy just like in windows.
    Hope this helps..
    Hi, as you mentioned to do linux noprobe install, what happens after the process? Does the Mandrake boot up properly?
    Or, do we have to install the hardware drivrs first before the we can go into the KDE or Gnome desktop?