Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'm gonna take a guess at this and hopefully it will help you find the path you are looking for. I do have a way to do what you are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm gonna take a guess at this and hopefully it will help you find the path you are looking for. I do have a way to do what you are asking if I was going to be partially booting into a gui mode, wanted to run a user program on startup, and I didn't want to mess up the current desktop. To do this starting into configuring rc4 inside of /etc. Place a link to your program within rc4.d and what ever other things you want to boot up when you log in. rc3.d contains the items that are run when you boot into a multi-user text mode and rc5.d contains the items that are run when you boot into a normal multi-user gui session. Check out the difference between the two of these and place what you need inside the rc4.d. You can open a terminal and with the right permissions execute init 4 to go into runlevel 4.

Then, if everything works the way you like you can alter the /etc/inittab to point to the run level of 4. This way when the computer boots up it will automatically go to runlevel 4.

Please let me know if this is more along the lines of what you are asking for and if I can help you any more I will do my best.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aetiv View Post
    I'm gonna take a guess at this and hopefully it will help you find the path you are looking for. I do have a way to do what you are asking if I was going to be partially booting into a gui mode, wanted to run a user program on startup, and I didn't want to mess up the current desktop. To do this starting into configuring rc4 inside of /etc. Place a link to your program within rc4.d and what ever other things you want to boot up when you log in. rc3.d contains the items that are run when you boot into a multi-user text mode and rc5.d contains the items that are run when you boot into a normal multi-user gui session. Check out the difference between the two of these and place what you need inside the rc4.d. You can open a terminal and with the right permissions execute init 4 to go into runlevel 4.

Then, if everything works the way you like you can alter the /etc/inittab to point to the run level of 4. This way when the computer boots up it will automatically go to runlevel 4.

Please let me know if this is more along the lines of what you are asking for and if I can help you any more I will do my best.

Hi....
    i try to open rc4.d is just a folder...Can u give me a detail how to do...

Just Joined!
    I'll take a look at it a little more tomarrow night as I am at work and only have some Solaris servers to look at. What distro of linux are you using?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Inside of the rc4.d folder you can drop all the services that you want to start up when the computer boots. You can test the runlevel then by entering root level or using sudo and typing "init 4". To get back to the default gui do "init 5" or muti-user text mode with "init 3". Then, if it works and you like it, edit /etc/inittab and change the line id:5:initdefault: to id:4:initdefault: and save. This will allow you to boot directly into runlevel 4.

If you are unsure of the services you may want to boot with just look into the other rc#.d files and follow the different links to see what the different services are. For example, you may want to copy the services in rc3.d over to rc4.d using "cp /etc/rc3.d/* /etc/rc4.d". Then, just add a link to your app you would like to start by using "ln -s <app location> <name and location of the shortcut>".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2