Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux and I just installed it on a seperate drive. When I turn on the computer, I'm not getting the option to boot to linux. Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux won't boot

I am new to Linux and I just installed it on a seperate drive. When I turn on the computer, I'm not getting the option to boot to linux. Windows xp boots instead. I tried to reinstall the bootloader from the cd but that does'nt work either. Please help.

Linux Engineer
    chances are the bootloader is installed on the second hard drive, and the boot order is probably first hard drive --> second hard drive. since it sees the windows loader on the first, it just goes to that instead of linux.

if you need help installing the bootloader to the first drive, can you give some details about the system? are you using LILO or GRUB? what distro are you using? etc.

Just Joined!
    Im using 10.1 and I chose grub. I tried to reinstall it and it still won't work. On the first install I used the lilo. I only have 2 hard drives. It was confusing because I was not sure exactly what hard drive I was choosing when I installed the bootloader. Because there were so many choices. I chose the one that said hdc, thinking this must be the c drive. But there were 5 other choices also.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ctemp
    Im using 10.1 and I chose grub. I tried to reinstall it and it still won't work. On the first install I used the lilo. I only have 2 hard drives. It was confusing because I was not sure exactly what hard drive I was choosing when I installed the bootloader. Because there were so many choices. I chose the one that said hdc, thinking this must be the c drive. But there were 5 other choices also.
    oops, i didn't see this was the mandrake forum. you have to determine which hard drive is the first. it should be hda, not hdc. i would guess hda = 1st drive and hdb = 2nd drive. try running the system configuration utility and installing GRUB to the MBR (master boot record) of hda (which should be hard drive 1). what other options are there though for installing GRUB?

btw, back up all important data on the 1st hard drive before you go installing things to it. installing GRUB to the MBR in hda shouldn't mess anything up, but just in case, you know....

Just Joined!
    Thanks Sether I have everything working now. I'm using Linux right now to type this. It was hde for some reason. I guess I'm to used to using windows. But now it's time to try something different for a change.