Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey i got a question, i downloaded and burned the mandriva 2010 iso onto a dvd disk and it will not boot when i restart my computer what do i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation mandriva iso booting up problems

hey i got a question, i downloaded and burned the mandriva 2010 iso onto a dvd disk and it will not boot when i restart my computer what do i do?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cute_sakiya View Post
    hey i got a question, i downloaded and burned the mandriva 2010 iso onto a dvd disk and it will not boot when i restart my computer what do i do?
    You might have burned it improperly... check this HowTo for the proper steps to follow:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

The ISO file must be burned to disk as an image, and be sure that you don't make the disk bootable yourself.
    oz

In addition to what ozar said, you need to make sure that your system BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. Which can usually be done with pressing the "Del", "F11" or some other magical key. When you reboot you machine you will notice a message saying "press X for system BIOS or Setup"
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks, but now when i try to get to the mandriva 2010 desktop it totally freezes or when i get to the desktop i hit the install live and the total computer freezes, what do i do?

That does not sound normal at all...maybe you should try a different distro, some just work better than others. If you'd like to keep Mandriva, I guess the smart thing to do would be to install it to the hard drive via text mode or alternate install method. Can you test the CD on another machine?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 03-06-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    That does not sound normal at all...maybe you sould try a different distro, some just work better than others. If you'd like to keep Mandriva, I guess the smart thing to do would be to install it to the hard drive via text mode or alternate install method. Can you test the CD on another machine?
    no i can't this is the only computer that i have

oz
    forum.guy
    Check this Mandriva Installation HowTo for any tips that might reveal what the problem could be, or for other installation techniques that might get you past this road block. If the disk was burned properly, it could be some piece of hardware causing an issue. In that case, you can sometimes use certain kernel boot parameters that will get you past any hurdles. You can check for special boot parameter codes on-screen just as the installation disk is first beginning to spin up.
    oz

Did you check the Md5sums of the downloads, to make sure they are not corrupted?
    See the link, I think ozar provided.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Could you post you machine's specs here? Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Could you post you machine's specs here? Which Graphics Card do you have?

I have a toshiba A100 and the graphics is the intel