Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hope someone can help. I have 750k cable broadband and connect to the internet via a netgear wireless access point. My wife has a laptop with Win 2K and everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slow surfing with Broadband and Mandrake

Hope someone can help.

I have 750k cable broadband and connect to the internet via a netgear wireless access point. My wife has a laptop with Win 2K and everything is fine on that. I have a desktop with a dual boot system. I have Win XP (and again everything is fine) and Mandrake Linux 10.1.

The problem is when I am surfing the internet under Linux. Certain sites are fine, but some (Hotmail and PCAdvisor to name a few) just don't load. Sometimes I can get to the bit where you have to type in the password but most of the time it just stops after loading the banners.

Any thoughts anyone? I am using the Opera browser and have also tried Mozilla with the same result.

make sure that you have the latest version of whatever browser you use. And also:
    1)What kind of wireless is it, speed-wise? (a,b,g?)
    and
    2)How far away are you from the access point?
    -lakerdonald

I have indeed got the latest version of the browser under Linux (version 7.54) although under Windows I am still using version 7.23.

I don't think its an issue with the speed of my wireless connection or the distance as it works fine under Windows. (But for your information [just in case its important!] it is 54g and my PC is about 3 metres across from the access point and on the next floor up.)

Any other ideas as this is very frustrating - having to log in to Windows just to check my e-mail.

Linux Guru
    Check your file /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that 127.0.0.1 or any other IP that is your computer isn't the top entry. For example in mine, 192.168.0.4 was listed first, but that's the static IP of my computer.

Hope that helps,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

This is the contents of my /etc/resolv.conf file

nameserver 194.168.4.100
    nameserver 194.168.8.100
    search localhost

I don't know what 194.168.4.100 is so I pinged it and got replies between 12 and 50 ms

Linux Guru
    I think this is a bug with 10.1 CE (I haven't tried 10.1 O). I have the same problem with netfirms.com webmail login. I've read about it being the MTU or some such similar, but I'm almost certain it's not that as 10.0 worked flawlessly. You can read all about my adventures here: http://mandrakeusers.org

I can tell you that 10.1 O is on the way, and I'm hoping this issue is solved.

Jeremy

**EDIT** The post is here: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=20003

Thanks for the help.

I did actually try Mandrake 10.0 a while ago but couldn't get it to work - it always hung during the install, no matter what PC I tried it with. However, I have 9.2 so I might try that (never got wireless working with it though...)

I'll let you know what happens...

Gaz

Linux Guru
    This issue appears to be solved in 10.1 Official

Jeremy

Is it possible to upgrade from community to official easily online or do I need to download all the ISOs?