Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Should I change to Suse back?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, change to Suse

2 40.00%
  • No, keep using Mandrake and pay for update.

3 60.00%
Hi there, 1. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 and about to format my HDD because they are requiring registiration with a fee which Suse didnot. Is it neccecary to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

update problems

Hi there,
    1. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 and about to format my HDD because they are requiring registiration with a fee which Suse didnot. Is it neccecary to pay for mandrake updates?

2. I am having a NAT error, I am a adsl subscriber and my modem is corecess 3113. Does any one have an idea?
    Thank you?

Re: update problems

Quote Originally Posted by ceviz
    Hi there,
    1. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 and about to format my HDD because they are requiring registiration with a fee which Suse didnot. Is it neccecary to pay for mandrake updates?
    I've never had to register anything to update Mandrake. How did you acquire your copy of Mandrake? Was it a free ISO or did you actually purchase a retail box? How are you trying to update the system? What is the exact message you are getting when you try and update?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie

Re: update problems

[quote="ceviz"]Hi there,
    1. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 and about to format my HDD because they are requiring registiration with a fee which Suse didnot. Is it neccecary to pay for mandrake updates

It ask you for registiration but you do not have to do this. You have a option to skip. Yes they do have a update service that you can pay for or you can just do the updates yourself

Just Joined!
    okay, I can be mistaken Then can anyone tell me how to update my mandrake linux? And also where to find all the compiler libraries because I can not install any programs, which reaveals my newbieness

Linux Newbie
    I assume
    System --> Configuration --> Packaging --> Mandrake Update

What software are you trying to install?

Just Joined!
    yes my friend thats exactly the thing I try but when MAndrake searches and lists the mirror sites(ftp's actually) I choosed every single one and got error
    "It's impossible to recieve the list of packages from the media 'update_source'. Either this update media is misconfigured, and in this case you should use the Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it in order to reconfigure it, either it is currently unreachable and you should retry later"

I got this message in every mirror. Can you suggest anything??

Linux Newbie
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

edit the config file if you would like auto updates
    /usr/sbin/urpmi