Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there, I am trying to install python-pygments-1.2.2-1mdv2010.1.src.rpm (downloaded from ftp site refer below) for viewvc syntax highlighting. On the first try I was asked to install another dependecny. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to avoid dependencies while installing

Hi there,

I am trying to install python-pygments-1.2.2-1mdv2010.1.src.rpm (downloaded from ftp site refer below) for viewvc syntax highlighting. On the first try I was asked to install another dependecny. When I try to install the mentioned dependency, I was asked to install few more dependencies for the mentioned dependency. Is there a way to meet the dependencies while installing or to ignore the dependencies (like apt-get in ubuntu). Kindly let me know if I am not clear and need more information, thanks in advance.

uname -a :
    Linux <hostName> 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ unknown GNU/Linux

ftp site:
    ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/home:/dirkmueller:/playground/openSUSE_10.3/x86_64/

Linux Guru
    Google: mandriva package manager

Mandriva Linux uses a package manager called urpmi, which functions as a wrapper to the RPM package management system. It is similar to apt-get or Yellow dog Updater, Modified in that it allows seamless installation of a given software package by automatically installing the other packages needed.
    Mandriva - Urpmi

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply HROAdmin26.

1. I downloaded the rpm from the ftp site, please refer my initial post
    2. Did a rpm -qa "py*" before running the urpmi(It is python-pygments in ubuntu (dpkg --get-selections | grep ^py*))
    3. urpmi python-pygments-1.2.2-1mdv2010.1.noarch.rpm
    (The output is
    Some package requested cannot be installed:
    python-pygments-1.2.2-1mdv2010.1.noarch (due to unsatisfied python[>= 2.6])
    Continue? (Y/n)
    )
    4. Y and return
    5. Again did a rpm -qa "py*" and do NOT see python-pygments.
    (rpm -qa "py*" result
    python-base-2.4.1-3mdk
    pythonlib-1.28-5mdk
    python-2.4.1-3mdk
    )
    Am I doing something wrong? Kindly let me know if I am not clear and need more information, thanks again.

Just Joined!

screenshot of what I have done

screenshot of what I have done
    Attached Images Attached Images

it depends on python 2.6, and you only have 2.4 installed, is there no python-pygments available from the package manager? if not, then at least download the RPM for your version of mandriva

Just Joined!
    Thanks Coopstah13.

I am NOT very familiar with Mandriva, so please excuse me for my ignorance.

1) If the python-pygments depends on python 2.6, shouldN'T urpmi download/install python 2.6 to satisfy the dependencies? (I know this is a stupid question but I am just thinking from my point of view).
    2) I will google and try to work with package manager to find the python-pygments.
    3) I will also try to find the RPM for my version of Mandriva.

Again please excuse me for my ignorance. Kindly let me know if I am not clear and need more information, thanks again.

Linux Guru
    If the python-pygments depends on python 2.6, shouldN'T urpmi download/install python 2.6 to satisfy the dependencies? (I know this is a stupid question but I am just thinking from my point of view).
    What if that will break several other packages already installed that are not known to work with 2.6?

What if you don't have a repository in your config that has python 2.6?

Just Joined!
    An unofficial repository that works very well is easy urpmi. Type that in google and it will come up. At the bottom of the screen click the buttons for add repositories and open them. Don't save as this often causes me some problems. After adding the repositories you can do "urpmi --auto-update" and when that has completed type "urpmi <package_needed>". I have a paid subscription to Mandriva and I will say that I still also like using easy urpmi.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help coopstah13, HROAdmin26 and aetiv. I will keep you posted in this thread, thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Below are screenshots while trying to update via Software Manager. I will keep you posted in this thread, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast