Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am confused, how sendmail work and advantage from postfix. sendmail is not part of postfix? I am not storing emails I just sending emails through a web page script ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sendmail and postfix???

I am confused, how sendmail work and advantage from postfix. sendmail is not part of postfix?

I am not storing emails I just sending emails through a web page script but some time this not work.

any sugestion?

Thank you

Just Joined!
    Sendmail is installed with defaults that work with your mail agent - KMail or Thunderbird, for instance. If you install Postfix it has its own sendmail program - there is a small utility that you may need to install, with a name that's something like mail-agent-switcher (googling should tell you the exact name), Basically, then postfix will use its own sendmail instead of the original sendmail.

Why would you want to do this? If you only send emails across the Internet, you probably don't either want or need to. If you have a home network and want to send emails to another of the family, without it going out to the Internet, Postfix can be configured quite easily to separate local traffic and send them straight to the computer on your network, and normal emails that will go out through the Internet just as you do now.

I'm a bit concerned, though, about your statement about the 'web page script'. Can you give us a bit more detail? Is this an ISP's webmail program, or something else? And what happens when it doesn't work?

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answer.

If you have a home network and want to send emails to another of the family, without it going out to the Internet, Postfix can be configured quite easily to separate local traffic and send them straight to the computer on your network, and normal emails that will go out through the Internet just as you do now.
    I have a server where I am hosting a single page with questions answered by visitors, these answers its need to be sent it my email, but sometime this process do not work. I tried to test "sendmail" straight from the command line and it did the same thing, sometimes worked, I notice that when I used a gmail email as receiver, always work, so that's why I am confused, I am not really sure if I need to configure the sendmail or postfix.

thank you

Just Joined!
    There's nothing there that makes me think you need postfix. Sendmail is being used by your mailer by default, and you shouldn't need to configure that. I think it's time to look at your problem from a different angle.

Please start a new thread, describing exactly how you try to send the information from your web page, and what happens when it doesn't work. What do you see? Have you seen any error messages? Can you start your web page from a konsole or terminal, and watch for error messages if it fails?