Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 5 of 5
XMMS quit a day ago, previously it had been working perfectly. The icon would just bounce and would not start. I did use the auto orphan command and thinking that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    6

    Question XMMS Question


    XMMS quit a day ago, previously it had been working perfectly. The icon would just bounce and would not start. I did use the auto orphan command and thinking that kludged XMMS I uninstalled XMMS, did a shut down, then reinstalled upon start up using URPMI. I am using the distrib that came with the current version of Mandriva Free - 10.2 I believe. All to no avail - same problem.
    Saturday AM I gave it one last try, same as above, used terminal ti start XMMS; it worked perfectly.
    As the attached photo shows.

    Error msg: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    I am assuming GTK is affiliated with Gnome OS. I am using KDE. I have had similar trouble with other versions of XMMS on older versions of Mandriva.

    Any Ideas would be appreciated

    Current Version Mandriva - Desktop 2.6.31.13-1mnb

    Adriann

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    168

    root maybe

    is it possible you need to be in root to do this? it is worth a try.

    Bower

  3. #3
    Trusted Penguin Dapper Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Adriann View Post
    Error msg: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I don't use Mandriva but when running into this type problem, the first thing I do is check and see if ANY version of the lib is present. Check in /usr/lib an /usr/local/lib or you could do:
    Code:
    locate libcanberra-gtk
    If you can't find it, you should be able to install it using urpmi. It may be installed already but listed as a different version and XMMS is looking for an older one. As a for instance, it could be already on your machine as libcanberra-gtk-module.so.0.0.4. If there is no libcanberra-gtk-module.so to be found, you could symlink to the latest version:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib
    ln -s libcanberra-gtk-module.so.0.0.4 libcanberra-gtk-module.so
    What's interesting is, I run XMMS on several machines and none of them beg for this lib. Hope this helps...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    6

    Re: XMMS

    Hi Bower - I rarely log in as root, with the exception of using terminal. Under normal conditions I *should* be able to click on the desktop icon and XMMS should start.

    Thank You for your help!.

    Quote Originally Posted by bower View Post
    is it possible you need to be in root to do this? it is worth a try.

    Bower

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    6
    Hi Dan, thanks for your posting I'll give your idea a try. As I posted earlier, XMMS works great
    for a while, then it 'breaks' and will not start. I only run Mandriva and I've had this happen over previous versions of the OS; I guess it's time to try and find an answer.

    Adriann


    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't use Mandriva but when running into this type problem, the first thing I do is check and see if ANY version of the lib is present. Check in /usr/lib an /usr/local/lib or you could do:
    Code:
    locate libcanberra-gtk
    If you can't find it, you should be able to install it using urpmi. It may be installed already but listed as a different version and XMMS is looking for an older one. As a for instance, it could be already on your machine as libcanberra-gtk-module.so.0.0.4. If there is no libcanberra-gtk-module.so to be found, you could symlink to the latest version:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib
    ln -s libcanberra-gtk-module.so.0.0.4 libcanberra-gtk-module.so
    What's interesting is, I run XMMS on several machines and none of them beg for this lib. Hope this helps...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •