Find the answer to your Linux question:
I consider my self an advanced computer user. I decided to give Mandrake Linux 10.1 a try. I never thought it would be so difficult to get up and running. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 installation woes

I consider my self an advanced computer user. I decided to give Mandrake Linux 10.1 a try. I never thought it would be so difficult to get up and running. No wonder Linux is relatively unpopular among PC users!

I have installed and reinstalled it a number of times but Mandrake refuses to show at boot up and my computer just boots into Windows XP each time.

Should I install it on the hard drive (C) which contains Windows or my second drive (D) or does it matter.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I consider my self an advanced computer user.
    Linux is a different world my friend, I was considering that too.

Mandrake refuses to show at boot up and my computer just boots into Windows XP each time.
    Are you using Lilo or Grub? Without them you can not do what you want.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your interest .. I used Lilo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Dude, you need to properly configure LILO. If your Windows drive is your master drive you need to install LILO on its master boot record. If your Linux drive is your master drive then that same thing should be done for it. If you don't know what I'm talking about then ask.