Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I have a feeling that I may have accidentally installed both KDE and Gnome and was wondering if someone could please tell me how I can check to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Getting rid of KDE???

Hey all,

I have a feeling that I may have accidentally installed both KDE and Gnome and was wondering if someone could please tell me how I can check to see if I have both installed as I'm running out of hard disk space on my 'Filesystem' partition? If this is the case, do I need to keep the KDE files or can I get rid of them if I only use Gnome, and how would I do so?

A huge thanks in advance.
    Stu

You can check when you log in...Does the log in window have KDE as an option?
    Make mine Arch Linux

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    do I need to keep the KDE files or can I get rid of them if I only use Gnome, and how would I do so?
    No, you don't have to keep any installed KDE files and dependencies but it isn't so easy to remove "all traces" of everything that you no longer want, either, if you want to reclaim as much space as possible. I'm personally not a fan of mixing KDE and Gnome on the same system because of some strange issues that nearly always present themselves sooner or later, plus it's far more files to have to keep updated.

Eliminating KDE along with all dependencies would most likely be accomplished faster by doing a fresh install, although you might learn more about Linux by removing it all manually. Of course there's a bigger chance of you removing something that you shouldn't have, as well, and I can almost guarantee you that some things that you've missed related to the installation of KDE will remain on your system.

Best of luck to you, either way.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Taking a guess here:
    Try 'urpme KDE' at the BASH for root and see what that does. I would try it myself but I really don't want to uninstall KDE if it works.

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gerard4143 View Post
    You can check when you log in...Does the log in window have KDE as an option?
    Hi Gerard,

Sorry about the late reply. No, I can't see KDE as an option anywhere when I go to log-in. I have the two usernames 'Stuart' and 'Guest' and then a flag to switch between English and French, and a power button.

I'm thinking that I must have KDE installed because when I go to the yellow 'Star' menu --> 'Install & Remove Software' --> 'Graphical Desktop' --> 'KDE', I see the following files:

- kdebase4-runtime
    - kdelibs4-core
    - mandriva-kde-4-config-common

Do you know how much space KDE takes up?

I also notice that when important updates come through that a lot of them are to do with KDE. I also get a lot of updates of things like 'ssh' , 'perl','python', 'lib64' and a whole pile of other things that I doubt I use.

Stu

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aetiv View Post
    Taking a guess here:
    Try 'urpme KDE' at the BASH for root and see what that does. I would try it myself but I really don't want to uninstall KDE if it works.
    Hi Aetiv,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I do this it says 'bash: urpme: command not found'. Does that mean that KDE is not installed?

Stu

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    No, you don't have to keep any installed KDE files and dependencies but it isn't so easy to remove "all traces" of everything that you no longer want, either, if you want to reclaim as much space as possible. I'm personally not a fan of mixing KDE and Gnome on the same system because of some strange issues that nearly always present themselves sooner or later, plus it's far more files to have to keep updated.

Eliminating KDE along with all dependencies would most likely be accomplished faster by doing a fresh install, although you might learn more about Linux by removing it all manually. Of course there's a bigger chance of you removing something that you shouldn't have, as well, and I can almost guarantee you that some things that you've missed related to the installation of KDE will remain on your system.

Best of luck to you, either way.
    Hi Ozar,

Thanks for that info. A clean install is probably the best option because I need to get a new hard drive since my primary one is dying on me. I might wait until the new version of Mandriva is released (I thought it was going to be released by now ??? ). Does KDE install automatically if you choose a Gnome installation as I could have sworn that I only selected Gnome during the last install?

Thanks heaps.
    Stu

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    Does KDE install automatically if you choose a Gnome installation as I could have sworn that I only selected Gnome during the last install?
    It's been quite some time since I last installed Mandriva. In fact, it was still called Mandrake back then, but at that time you had to choose to install Gnome, or KDE, or you could choose both.
    oz

Just Joined!
    to use urpme you will have to be root where you root when you tried?
    su -

Just Joined!
    Thanks heaps for your replies. I decided to purchase a new hard drive since my old one was beginning to fail, and I installed Mandriva 2010 Spring on it. Things are working great so far. I decided to do a dual boot with Windows Vista (incase I ever need to use it to resync my AppleTV).

One thing I have noticed, is that if I go to the 'System' menu --> 'Administration' --> 'Configure Your Computer' --> 'Local Disks' --> 'Manage Disk Partitions', that there is no XFS partition. Do I need an XFS partition? Also the '/' Ext4 and the Swap partition appear very small. Is that normal? Incase it helps, Windows is 210GB and Home is 704. ???

Thanks again.
    Stu