Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm quite new to the linux os. I've built a AMD 64 3000+ system w/512 ram. It's on a MSI motherboard socket 754. I have a SATA hard drive. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing mandrake amd64 bit cd's

I'm quite new to the linux os. I've built a AMD 64 3000+ system w/512 ram. It's on a MSI motherboard socket 754. I have a SATA hard drive. I've been introduced to Linux by two of my instructors at college. Upon trying to load the mandrake amd64 bit os on my system I could never get past the initial setup partitioning of hd. It stated that certain files needed to partition hd were not available. I left the hd unpartitioned after initial setup on this new hd. I previosly tried to load Win 64 bit and it failed to even recognize my hd. I've had to load my Win xp pro 32 bit back on my system. I really want to make this system my linux only system but can't seem to get a 64 bit os to work. Please help me! Being a newbie also probably doesn't help but be patient and help me learn. Also if anyone could recommend a really good linux for newbie book that would be really appreciated. Thanks Duane

Just Joined!

previous post

i don't know if it matters but it's an Athlon 64 3000+ processor

Linux Guru
    Duanne,

Are you using MDK 10.0 64?

As for books, <plug type="shameless">I'd recommend this one</plug>
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

64 bit os

Yes it's mdk 10.0 amd 64 os but it won't partition hd if fails and I get error message

Linux Guru
    Try using third party software to free some space on your HD. Partition Magic is one, Qtparted is a free version. It comes on knoppix. After you free some space, try to install MDK to that.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

hd issue

the hard drice has 60 gb of free unpartitioned space for linux