Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I'm total newbie to the world of Linux. I installed Mandrake 10.0 Official on my laptop (model: Asus L3800 series). Everything seems to be in working order minus ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie seeks help installing D-link dwl-650+ drivers

Hi everyone.

I'm total newbie to the world of Linux. I installed Mandrake 10.0 Official on my laptop (model: Asus L3800 series). Everything seems to be in working order minus the wireless LAN adapter. The LAN adapter in question is a D-link DWL-650+.

I've tried looking online for solutions, but so far, I've come across some very technical answers that I can't understand. I've read that mine is a common problem, due to the chipset used in manufacturing the card (along with those of other brands). I've tried solving the problem with a couple of friends of mine, without any success.

Does anyone know how to solve the problem? I've come across people talking about "porting the drivers". If that's one way to tackle the problem, how do I do it?

I apologize if the problem seems dumb.

Hoping for some feedback.

Cheers.

AFAIK you can use two drivers: the free one from http://www.linux-wlan.org or the proprietary one from Samsung located at http://tinyurl.com/5d7na. Download the driver you choose, and read the INSTALL and README files carefully since they might contain tips, tricks & install guidelines etc..

Good luck

I had the same problem, apparantly the ACX111 chipset is not supported, eventually I had to get a wlan card that was.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi there, excuse the delay in answering. I tried following the help in the links you gave me, but unfortunately wasn't able to get the card to work.
    Now, I'm running Suse 9.2, which seems to recognise the card, but works sporadically. Though, I found out about a Linux workshop, near me, next weekend, so I'm going to go there and find out whatever I can
    Thank you again for sending the links.
    Cheers.

Just Joined!

Linux and DWL-650+

Hi!

Sorry for a late reply, but maybe it can be of help to someone. I have been using driverloader from www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

It uses the native XP drivers supplied with the card when running under linux. It works great. Easy to install and no trouble at all.

/ Storck

Just Joined!

Sorry!

Hi,

Here is another late reply. DriverLoader does work. I was so happy to have my DWL-650+ running under Linux that (didn't want to) see that it is just a free 30 day trial. The license is $20. That would buy me another card.

Better use ndiswrapper. It is supplied with Mandrake and I guess a lot of other distros as well. Visit the ndiswrapper web site. There is a very good wiki that got me up and running in no time.

/ Storck