Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Mandrake 9.0 here... Last night I was screwing around with userdrake. I previously had two user accounts setup, one for me and for my wife. I managed to completely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Userdrake uh-oh; root now the only working login

Running Mandrake 9.0 here...

Last night I was screwing around with userdrake. I previously had two user accounts setup, one for me and for my wife. I managed to completely delete her account and change the username on my account.

Now I can't login to my account either with the old username/pw or the new username/pw. I can't login to her account either. The only account that I've been able to login to is root.

Through the root account, I can see that /home/me and /home/wife still exist, and also a /home/newusername for the new username that I created. The contents of /me and /wife are still there.

When I attempt to re-create the wife's account through Mandrake Configuration|userdrake while logged in as root, I get an error message something like this:

can't lock userlib file /etc/ptmp or /etc/gtmp exists

userdrake won't start from a command line either, and I'm not sure if edited /etc/passwd by hand will work or if I even know enough about it to not screw it up.

Any advice, O Gods of MandrakeLinux?

Linux Guru
    Can you create an entirely new account? If so, create one, then transfer all the file from /home/olduser to /home/newuser.

If you'd rather not do that, copy all the file in /home/user to some tmp directory outside of /home/user like /tmp. Then use userdrake to completely remove the user. Make sure to delete the /home/user folder if userdrake doesn't. Re-create the user, then copy the contents of /tmp/usr to /home/user.

Hope that makes sense.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Wowza, thanks for the speedy response.

I had considered doing something similar to what you suggested, but I can't get userdrake to start at all. I can't remember the exact error message ATM, and the machine is at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Post the error when you get it. We'll see what we can do

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Okay, here's the dealio.

Attempting to login to my account using KDE yields the following error message:

Code:
    No write access to $HOME directory (/).

KDE is unable to start
    Trying to login via Gnome gives me the same type of static. Logging in via IceWM works, but I can't open any apps.

Through IceWM, and can call Mandrake Control Center. However, when I try to start userdrak, I get the following error message:

Code:
    Cannot lock user lib,

file /etc/ptmp or /etc/gtmp exists

Thank god for Knoppix cds lying around.

Just Joined!
    bump

log in as root and change ownership of your home directory back to you use the command
    Code:
    chown yourname:yourgroup /home/me
    cd /home/me
    chown yourname:yourgroup *.*