Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the Mandrake 10.1 download installed on my computer, and I've figured out a few very basic things so far.. but I seem to have hit a perverbial wall, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Linux User

I have the Mandrake 10.1 download installed on my computer, and I've figured out a few very basic things so far.. but I seem to have hit a perverbial wall, I can' seem to figure anything new out. I've been a long time windos user but I got sick and tired of all the crap that happens under windows. Games crashing to BSOD, worms, viruses and adware as well as applications that automattically install with no imput from me.

Anyways, I'm sure many of you are familiar with all the windows problems. So here's the question, where can I find (A) a big all encompassing tutorial for mandrake (books, online or otherwise, but mandrake community's out becuase I don't have the $$ for the membership) so I can learn how to do everything, and (B) a free program that allows me to use windows apps on mandrake.

Thanx for any and all help.
    Morkaleb

Xko
    Just Joined!
    a) well this forum is excellent for learning new stuff!

b) wine is good for running windows apps (http://www.winehq.com/)

Just Joined!
    What I need is a tutorial that takes me from a-z of using linux, I have way to many questions to put on here in a way that anyone would be able to answer. I don't know where to start with this........

Xko
    Just Joined!
    the are some fantastic tutorials here at lf dot org

see here and questions on linux are loved here!

Linux Guru
    This is an excellent book for all users:

http://www.linuxforums.org/news/article-26680.html

There are others as well, but you likely won't find too much on Mandrake specifically. The only distro specific books I've seen are for Redhat.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    This link has extensive information on Linux and related topics. In particular, "Learning Unix", Unix in a Nutshell" and "Running Linux". They can be kind of heavy, but they're thorough. Best source for Mandrake-specific subjects is their web site. But most of what you want to know is not Mandrake-specific. The Mandrake distribution includes lots of HOWTO information and if you want more, you can Google "linux howto whatever". A good book that can take beginners through the un-obvious parts of Linux would be a great thing, but I'm not aware of one. The best source of useful information for new users that I have found is right here at LF.O
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Is mandrake very different from redhat?

Yes, Fedora and Mandrake are quite different, not only from their outward appearance, but also in their overall philosophy. Which is better is up to you, but they are different.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants