Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I recently upgraded from Mandriva 2010 to Mandriva 2010 - Spring. The upgrade went relatively smoothly but for a couple of (minor) issues. I will post all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2010 Spring -- Upgrade Issues

Hello all,
    I recently upgraded from Mandriva 2010 to Mandriva 2010 - Spring.
    The upgrade went relatively smoothly but for a couple of (minor) issues.
    I will post all the issues here because I think they're somehow related.
    First, I want to check that my update procedure was correct:

1- I tarballed my old home directory
    2- I installed Spring (clean install, not update, because I needed to format my hard drive) in such a way that my home directory had the same name as in the old installation
    3- I extracted the tarball of step 1 with the "--overwrite" option so that my old home directory would replace the new, empty one.

As I said, everything worked fine (I got the same desktop configuration back, same browser history, etc...)
    Now for the issues:

1- VLC isn't working. Here's the CLI output (> = prompt)
    Code:
    > vlc -v 
    VLC media player 1.1.1 The Luggage (revision exported)
    [0xde4120] main libvlc warning: cannot read /usr/lib64/vlc/plugins/plugins-04081e-e8.dat (No such file or directory)
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
    Warning: call to signal(13, 0x1)
    [0xde4120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
    Blocked: call to sigaction(17, 0x7fda71f66b50, 0x7fda71f66ab0)
    Warning: call to srand(1281198590)
    Warning: call to rand()
    Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:13974): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    Blocked: call to sigaction(11, 0x7fda71f663e0, (nil))
    Blocked: call to sigaction(6, 0x7fda71f663e0, (nil))
    Blocked: call to sigaction(5, 0x7fda71f663e0, (nil))
    Blocked: call to sigaction(8, 0x7fda71f663e0, (nil))
    Blocked: call to setlocale(0, "en_US.UTF-8")
    Segmentation fault
    2- I'm using Gnome. Everything works fine, except that I can't change the login screen. When I open the login screen changer from the GUI (System>Administration>Login Screen) all the options are greyed out and I can't unlock it. Here's the CLI output:
    Code:
    >gdmsetup
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetSoundEnabled(): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/TimedLoginEnable'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/TimedLoginDelay'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: init delay=30

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/DefaultSession'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: Init default session found:'(null)'
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: Found current seat: /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: running 'ck-history --frequent --seat='Seat1' --session-type='''
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: explicitly skipping user: nobody
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: skipping user with bad shell: xguest
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: user icon changed
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: adding monitor for '/home/joe/.face'
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: Getting list of sessions for user 500
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: Found 1 sessions for user joe
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUser: adding session /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: sessions changed user=joe num=1
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: added session for user: joe
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: history output: joe      30

** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: history output: root     3

** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: GdmUserManager: excluding user 'root'

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/AutomaticLoginEnable'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/TimedLoginEnable'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Error calling GetValue('daemon/TimedLogin'): The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
    ** (gdmsetup:14858): DEBUG: init user='(null)' auto=False

** (gdmsetup:14858): WARNING **: Failed to unlock: The name org.gnome.DisplayManager was not provided by any .service files
    Where the last line was produced when I tried to press "Unlock" in the Login Screen window.

3- I can't get the sound to work on youtube videos.

Some things that may help you pinpoint the problem:
    1- These issues weren't present in my previous installation
    2- In the old installation, I had chosen a Gnome install from the CD. In the new installation, I chose "Custom" and marked all packages by hand.
    3- In the old installation, I didn't opt for multilingual support while in the new one I did.
    4- Sometimes when I'm writing commands in a terminal window, they get underlined as I type them (this happens in Google Chrome, as well). When this happens, if I try to "su", my password appears on the screen as I type it! (and I don't mean asterisks, I mean the password is actually spelled out on the screen!!). Again, this never happened with my old installation.

I'm sorry, I know this post is long and these issues seem unrelated, but I'm posting them all together in case they are.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    I noticed that the commands get underlined in the terminal (and the passwords are shown) when I accidentally press SHIFT+SPACE. Does this mean anything?
    Also, I have a USB mouse that I use. I usually disable my laptop's touchpad when I use the USB mouse in order to avoid any conflicts. I found that when I disabled my touchpad (by pressing a special key on my keyboard), the keyboard keys no longer work and the USB mouse can only be used to open Applications by clicking on their symlinks. I can't even use it to pull down any menus. The only way out of this mess is a hardware shutdown (I keep the power OFF key pressed until the laptop is turned off).

What does all this mean?

Please if you can help with at least one of these issues, I'll appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Could this be a faulty install?
    I checked the validity of my iso image using md5sum and it said that the torrent was OK. Is it possible that it simply wasn't installed correctly?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Upgrading an existing install frequently causes weird problems. While they are probably all fixable, it can be tricky and time intensive. When running non-rolling release distros, I always do a clean install to upgrade for that reason.

I would try removing VLC and GDM, purging all the config files (in your $HOME directory as well), and reinstalling those packages.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I actually tried removing vlc and gdm before. I didn't purge my configuration files, though. Which ones should I look at?

Note that I actually did a clean install. I chose "erase and use entire disk" during installation. Was there something else I should have done to remove the old installation?

Just Joined!
    OK. I re-installed and, instead of choosing "Custom Install" like last time, I chose a GNOME install (like my older Mandriva 2010 installation). Now everything works fine except for one bug which I still can't figure out: whenever I disable my touch pad (my HP laptop comes equipped with a button that lets you disable the touch pad in case you're using an external mouse), the whole keyboard becomes useless and right-click no longer works. The only way out of this mess is a hardware restart. Any suggestions?