Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have finally invested in a box that is going to do nothing but act as a server. I'll be hosting a PW for Neverwinter Nights, hopefully running a webserver, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NEWBIE, needs help from the ground up.

I have finally invested in a box that is going to do nothing but act as a server. I'll be hosting a PW for Neverwinter Nights, hopefully running a webserver, & FTP on it. I've heard such wonderful things about Linux for the past 3 years (since I started in the online gaming comm) that I've decided to take the plunge.

Problem is... I've never even SEEN Linux. I have very MINIMAL exp with DOS. I've always used comps with GUIs like MAC & Windows.

The computer is an AMD Athlon 3000, 1 GB PC 2700 DDR RAM, 120GB UDMA HD, DVD RW, & CD-ROM. I will be completely flattening the box & it will run nothing but Linux.

I have downloaded & burned the 3 CDs for Mandrake 10.1 Community. I have the latest version of Apache Server, and I'm going to be running MySQL.

I suppose in short I'm asking, How do I set this OS up? How do I get Linux on our Windows Network? Are the security settings built in, or is there some sort of additional program(s) I need? What about Firewall?

Due to the fact that I'm going to be running this machine on a 2nd dedicated IP from our wireless ISP, hubby has said he will have to place it "outside" of the DMX of our router. Therefore, I'll have to handle all of the Firewall & security on the box myself.

Any suggestions from the Gurus here would be most Appreciated!

Thx!

provided that you have created CD number 1 of your downloads as a bootable CD, then put it in your PC and boot up with it. The installation program will then take you thru the whole process. As you are only having Linux on that machine you can pretty much take all of the defaults and allow the install program to reformat your hard disk (probably end up with two partitions, one with Linux on it and the other used as a swap file [a way of your PC pretending that it has more RAM memory than it really has]).

As to your other questions, I'll leave those answers to others more qualified.

Linux comes with its own built in Firewall (it's part of the kernel , which is the central part of Linux), you will be asked during install what level you want this set as, suggest you leave it as Medium.

have fun

Nerderello
    ps. I'm sure that I've read some of Ms Wolfe's books.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Re: NEWBIE, needs help from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatida
    Problem is... I've never even SEEN Linux. I have very MINIMAL exp with DOS. I've always used comps with GUIs like MAC & Windows.
    Although Linux generally makes more use of the command-line than other modern OSes, you can still administer most everything graphically. I doubt very seriously you'll have any trouble adjusting to Gnome or KDE (I believe Mandrake uses KDE).

How do I get Linux on our Windows Network? Are the security settings built in, or is there some sort of additional program(s) I need? What about Firewall?
    As Nererello mentioned, Linux itself has a firewall, and some distributions of Linux (such as Mepis) come with an additional firewall installed and configured out of the box. As for your network, Linux plays well with just about any network you set it up on.

BTW - Whereabouts in the Lone Star State are you?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    No! If he lets mandrake do it he has two choices. with usr or with out. So it will look /(root)/swap/home, then of if you went with usr add it. Now I strongly suggest you do a manual install. Why? If you are gonna to set up all those on one box it would be wise to do so. So how?
    I suggest you have these dir. their own partitions.
    /(root)
    /home
    /usr
    /var VERY important. (things uh like web server is here)
    also another very good one to do is
    /tmp

As far as the other things you need Apache, MySQL and any others are located on the Mandrake CD's. I suggest look at the man pages and also go to apache.org as I assume you already have and read as much as you can. Another tool that you should take a good look at is webmin. their are some more like directadmin but if you like power w/out cost then webmin!
    Hope this helps you out some

Quote Originally Posted by daemonOS
    No!
    Well, I stand corrected. :P Also, judging from the hubby comment, the poster is a she.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    no not no to you(techieMoe)
    no about the partitions that Nerderello wrote.

Just Joined!

NEWBIE, learning quick but getting bruised on the BRICK WALL

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    BTW - Whereabouts in the Lone Star State are you?
    Just east of Dallas, actually.

Well after I started installing & playing with it, didn't I feel like a doofus? *hehe So far it's all been extremely easy & self explanitory. Except for.. the fact that I can't get my Windows machines to see/connect to the Linux box.

Linux has access to the internet, it can ping & even VNC into the Windows machines, but I can't so much as ping the Linux box from a windows machine. I've tried using VNC, TightVNC, KDERemote Access, & even Webmin! However Webmin had some error on install, So technically It never had a full test.

I thought surely it was because of the way I had the firewall set up, so I completely disabled the firewall (I think). Still nothing. By the way, can anyone tell me where to find the list of "opened" ports for the firewall? Everytime I open the firewall "control panel" it's reset. I have no way of knowing if it's keeping my settings or not. I found one file, but it seemed to be just an information file about the standard use of various ports.

Just Joined!
    Well I finally downloaded the tar.gz version of Webmin & got it to install & configure correctly! The rpm ver just wouldn't work.

So now, I see it will allow me to administer the functions of the server just fine. But what about accessing other running programs on the machine? As well as starting & stopping them.

I've also got to learn how to mount filesystems. That is how I'd make other network drives available to the Linux machine for file swapping, Right? *looks confused*