Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm relatively new to Linux, but I think I've got the hang of things. However, I've come across this weird problem involving both my CD/DVD drive and external floppy drive. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 problems, both involving drives

I'm relatively new to Linux, but I think I've got the hang of things. However, I've come across this weird problem involving both my CD/DVD drive and external floppy drive.

1 - CD drive: When I insert a CD, it reads it, and shows the CD icon on the gnome desktop, along with the title etc...in the case of an mp3 cd I inserted, I could load and play the songs in XMMS just fine. but when I tried to browse the CD through the desktop icon, it opened up the window for the CD, but there was nothing in the window (ie. nothing on the CD at all).

2 - floppy: I have a USB external LaCie floppy drive. It's worked completely fine up until now. Now, it doesn't work at all. I try to mount it, and I get an error saying something like it's not found in fstab or mtab. If I try to have it plugged in at boot so it loads at boot, doesn't work. If I try to insert is after gnome is loaded, the light turns on and reads whatever floppy is in the drive, but nothing happens after that....no desktop icon, no nothing. This is the weirdest one because it's worked fine up until now.

I hope that's enough info for someone out there to help me, if you need any of my config info, just ask.

I'm running Mandrake 10.0 official, on a Toshiba A30 laptop, and I'm using Gnome (2.4 I think...)

thanks!

Just Joined!
    bump

The CD problem has changed....I can now read CDs, but if I try to copy something off them, it stops responding. Floppy still won't work

Linux Guru
    edit

What did you change that made it stop working?

Can you post the output of your fstab file?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    that's the weird part, I don't remember changing anything.

here's my fstab:

Code:
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,exec 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Just Joined!
    bump

any help on the floppy problem?

Linux Guru
    Interesting problem. If it was an internal floppy, you would just need to add a line in your fstab similar to other drives, something like
    Code:
    /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy  auto  noauto,users  0 0
    (don't quote me on that, I'm at a Windows box)

But your situation is complicated by the fact that you are connected through the usb port, which Linux (normally? always?) sees as if it were a scsi drive, with a designation of sda (compare to hda for an ide drive). So MAYBE your fstab should look like the above, only using '/dev/sda' in place of '/dev/fd0'. I'm pretty sure there is no harm in trying, but proceed at your own risk.

Also, if you Google 'mount usb floppy', you'll get 42,500 hits, so there might be something there....[/code]
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better