Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I installed Mandrake 10.1 Official, everything went off without a hitch. It restarted, I booted into GNOME, and I went about installing some softwares (like Firefox 1.0, etc.) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound Card was working... now it's not...

Hey guys, I installed Mandrake 10.1 Official, everything went off without a hitch. It restarted, I booted into GNOME, and I went about installing some softwares (like Firefox 1.0, etc.) that I needed. After a bit I thought it was time for a restart, so I logged out and did just that. However, this time when it restarted, it told me that it couldn't find my soundcard (when it had detected it the first time, and I was listening to music). Now in the Mandrake Configuration Center thing, it lists drivers for my soundcard, that were the exact same as they were before (I know because I checked). My soundcard is an integrated AC'97 audio. I have seen some mention of ALSA on these forums, but no one ever goes in detail to explain how exactly I can use it to fix my soundcard. Any ideas? Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hey guys, I fixed it, just thought I'd let everyone know how, in case someone is having a similar problem.

I checked in /etc/modprobe.conf, and right away I saw what the problem was. Modprobe was set to remove/install BOTH drivers for my card, on every bootup. So I guess when it got to check if there was a card present, it had been removed, and then the drivers were in conflict? Something like that I guess. So I just commented out those lines (###), and added in:

alias snd-slot-0 snd-via82xx
    alias snd-0 snd-via82xx

... and on the next bootup it works like a charm...