Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi ..Guys....i'm running two OS [Windows XP and LINUX Mandriva] in my machine [ intel p4 , 256 ram and 80 GB Hard Drive] ...i couldn't figure out how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Where is my BIOS!!!!

Hi ..Guys....i'm running two OS [Windows XP and LINUX Mandriva] in my machine [ intel p4 , 256 ram and 80 GB Hard Drive] ...i couldn't figure out how to run my BIOS!!
    i tried every things (pressing F8 , DELETE button .....) no good!!!!!
    is it because the linux OS's boot loader !!! or what!!!
    PLS Help!!!
    [ i did installed WIN XP and than the LINUX so i can boot to both of them]
    Last edited by oz; 08-19-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: accidentally put my reply in original post... oops!

Linux Boot Loader has nothing to do with BIOS. Have you tried F2 or Esc keys?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    at the time of early startup try f1 or f2 or esc or f8.

which version of mandriva u are using.
    my system configurations are same as yours.
    but mandriva one 2009 live is not working.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well i tried every thing and every pressed button shows some thing else other than the BIOS !! :
    F1,F2,Esc keys : shows the same thing ("Advanced options Mode" for Windows)
    F8 : shows "Select a boot Device"
    and the other keys has no use too !!
    is there any other way .. i can access the BIOS with ?
    (By the Way i have WIN XP P2 and Mandriva released in 200

Just Joined!
    Mandriva released in 2008

Linux Guru
    The key to select to enter the BIOS is almost always shown on boot at the bottom of the screen, sometimes it is only there for a few seconds so?? I've seen this in the upper right of some computers. Do you have any documentation on the motherboard. It should tell the BIOS mfr.

What options do you see when you get the "Advanced Options Mode" you refer to above, using the F2 key?

Operating Systems has nothing to do with BIOS. Which Motherboard do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by irilias View Post
    Hi ..Guys....i'm running two OS [Windows XP and LINUX Mandriva] in my machine [ intel p4 , 256 ram and 80 GB Hard Drive] ...i couldn't figure out how to run my BIOS!!
    i tried every things (pressing F8 , DELETE button .....) no good!!!!!
    is it because the linux OS's boot loader !!! or what!!!
    PLS Help!!!
    [ i did installed WIN XP and than the LINUX so i can boot to both of them]
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you might be waiting too long to press the proper key to enter the BIOS options. You usually only have a very few seconds of opportunity to push the correct key, so I'd recommend pressing the proper key for your machine immediately on a reboot and press it again every second or so until you get into the BIOS screen.

The proper key on my current machines is the DELETE key, but of course that can change from one machine to another, depending on the BIOS itself.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks Guys for replying...Well i have [ PSM7 "Mercury" ] Motherboard...and about the "Advanced Options Mode" ...it appears after boot into Win XP and pressing F2 (or any other keys like F5...) it shows options about how to boot WIN : Normoly..., SO its all about WINDOWS [i can't get access to BIOS from there] ..
    and i DO press the proper key immediately on a reboot ...STILL no BIOS !

// i might have the answer BUT i don't know if should go for it or not ...
    well ..i'm thinking in Clearing the "CMOS"..and pressing F1 on a reboot and set the default Values to the BIOS..
    i just have one question : what could happend if i Cleared the "CMOS" memory ..and no BIOS appear Later on a reboot !!!!
    i'm waiting for ur answers Guys ...
    and THNKS AGAIN FOR REPLYING

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by irilias View Post
    i might have the answer BUT i don't know if should go for it or not ...
    well ..i'm thinking in Clearing the "CMOS"..and pressing F1 on a reboot and set the default Values to the BIOS..
    i just have one question : what could happend if i Cleared the "CMOS" memory ..and no BIOS appear Later on a reboot !!!!
    i'm waiting for ur answers Guys ...
    Ordinarily, resetting or clearing the BIOS just allows the machine to boot with the default BIOS values set, and then you set your BIOS tweaks from there. I see no reason for it not to have a BIOS at all after clearing, but I suppose anything is possible.

Are you sure the key to be used for entering the BIOS screen is actually working on your keyboard?
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast