Find the answer to your Linux question:
to install Mandrake 10.1 Official onto my dell 700m. This is my first foray into the world of Linux and I am very excited. Couple of questions: I really want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting Ready...

to install Mandrake 10.1 Official onto my dell 700m. This is my first foray into the world of Linux and I am very excited.

Couple of questions:

I really want to ditch XP and just use 10.1 as my only os so I don't have to deal with dual booting. The only thing I do on this laptop is the usual surfing and email stuff. Would you guys not recommend this?

I don't have a wireless network but getting the intel pro 2100 to work is vital to me as I use it to hook up to the network at school and coffee shops etc. I hear that 10.1 is probably the most notebook friendly but I just need to know that I can get the wireless set up even though I am a noob. So will there be major obstacles to this?

At home I connect to the internet via my ethernet port and dsl. Will that be a problem?

I have dabbled with SimplyMepis and Xandros but neither could detect my dsl modem. Knoppix did but I figure if I am going to install onto the hdd Mandrake would be my best bet. Sorry so long, and I hope you guys can help a fist time Linux user out. Thanks

Linux Newbie
    I can't answer everything but I'll give it a go.

First off, yes linux can do browsing and e-mail just fine. In fact for most people doing just that wouldn't be any harder then with windows since most distro's come with an e-mail client and browser built in.

As for setting up your internet, it shouldn't be too bad a problem. If knoppix managed to notice things that means there are drivers out there. So even if Mandrake doesn't do it automaticly, you at least know you can go get the drivers and set it up yourself.

Basicly, it sounds like you'd be fine.