Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
OK - but how do I access that drive to add a folder and files . . ....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Next?

OK - but how do I access that drive to add a folder and files . . .

Linux Newbie
    You just go to /mnt/hdb and make folders and files. If you are getting permission errors it's because you didn't chmod the dir to allow yourself access.

Actually I suppose what you should do is chown it. Just chown the hdb dir to your username and you'll be fine. So from /mnt type "chown username hdb". Do that as root, and then that username becomes the owner of that folder. Although depending on your umask you may still have to chmod it to something like 700.

Just Joined!

Next?

Boy, viewing another hard drive in Mandrade sure is difficult - anyway chown from /mnt gives the following error "changing ownership of "hdb" : operation not permitted

Just Joined!

Fat32 Not Supported

I finally noticed an error at startup - it's says "/mnt/hdb Fat32 NOT supported by kernal"

Does this mean Mandrake 10.1 doesn't support Fat32 - if so, what format should I use on my second hard drive?

Linux Newbie
    No you can use a fat32 drive. Although you write it in as vfat. Not fat32.

I thought you'd said it was an ext3 drive before though? Maybe I'm mixing up my threads.

Just Joined!

Access!

Great news - changing it to vfat works great. I can now open the drive but it says "access denied" so I can't write anything to it. How do I change the permissions to give write access?

Just Joined!

Thanks Everyone!

Hey Everyone - it works! I just moved my files onto the drive, WOW thanks for the all the help. Once you chown it with username all is well.

I dumped Windows XP Pro and loaded Mandrake 10.1 and am very impressed. It picked up all my hardware except my second hard drive. My RW-CDROM, DVD player, external modem, and camera work perfectly. So much for Bill Gates and his empire . . .

Thanks Guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2