Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just loaded mandrake 10.1 and it's running fine! I dumped Windows XP Pro and finally made the move but now for the problem. I'm trying to add a second hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie trying to add second hard drive??? help . . .

Just loaded mandrake 10.1 and it's running fine! I dumped Windows XP Pro and finally made the move but now for the problem. I'm trying to add a second hard drive and I can see it in the control panel but how do I mount it or move file to it?

Linux Newbie
    You've got to partition and format it(You can use fdisk). Once that is done you can simply use the mount command to mount it.

An example for mounting an HD would be "mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb". Of course you can mount it anywheres you like.

Just Joined!

Next Step?

Thanks for the reply CoCo . . . I did fdisk the drive with one large partition and formatted Fat32 but did not set active. I can see it in the Mandrake control panel but no icon shows up anywhere to use. Maybe I just can't figure how to use it. I'm trying to use the other hard drive to put my files on. Easy way to back up - to me . . . It's going to take awhile learning this instead of the Bill Gates way but at least I'm not helping to buy him a new car!

Linux Newbie
    You don't need to set active, you arn't booting off it.

Just mount it now.

If it's the second IDE drive on your computer it should be /dev/hdb1. (HD means harddrive. B is for second, and 1 is for the first partition on it).

So all you got to do is mount it to somewheres. SO make a folder in /mnt called whatever you like, I suggesst hdb). Once you've done that just type mount "/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb". Now that partition is avaliable to use from /mnt/hdb.

Linux is unlike windows in the regards that all drivers are under /. Pretty much all extra media is access from the /mnt folder (mount). You can find a /mnt/cdrom and a /mnt/floppy.

Just Joined!

Next Try????

OK, I tried typing mount "/dev/hdb1/mnt/hdb" in the shell and it came bac saying "can't find /dev/hdb1/mnt/hdb in /etc/fstab or /etc/ntab"

Next I tried to make a folder in mnt and got the following reply"access denied to /mnt/hdb"

Do I change permissions somewhere to give myself access or what?

Thanks so much for helping me with this . . . guess I need to buy a book next!

Linux Engineer
    put a space between /dev/hdb1 and /mnt/hdb

so it looks like this /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb

and make sure you have a directory in /mnt/hdb, if not create it with mkdir /mnt/hdb

Just Joined!

I'm Part of the way there!

Hey CoCo, I found out if I sign in as root I can make a directory - it worked!

Now, I don't know what line to add or where to either the fstab or mtab file. Can you help me with this? Here's the contents:

Contents of fstab:
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

contents of mtab:
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    none /mnt/floppy supermount rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Linux Newbie
    You can just add a line like

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb ext3 defaults 0 0

to fstab and you should be good to go. Unless of course you used a diffrent file system when you formated. Then change ext3 to the correct setting.

Just Joined!

Progress!

Well - we are making progress but not quite there! I made the changes to fstab but whenever I try and mount it says "only root can mount /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb"

How can I change it to mount with my account and not just the root?

Linux Newbie
    You don't have to.

Once you add it to fstab it will auto mount it when you boot, so you'll never have to mount it again yourself. Although I suppose you could chmod /dev/hdb but it's not really important. Just mount it as root, then add it to fstab. Once that is done it's mounted forever.

Just make sure that you chmod the /mnt/hdb folder to something you can access.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast