Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying for 10 days now to boot my acer aspire one from sdhc card because the ssd is to slow for my taste. I managed to to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot from sdhc card on acer aspire one with no bios option

Hi,

I am trying for 10 days now to boot my acer aspire one from sdhc card because the ssd is to slow for my taste.
    I managed to to add the modules
    mmc_core
    mmc_block
    sdhci
    sdhci-pci
    to my intrd.img and copied it in the boot partition on the ssd along with the kernel and aded a line to search for the uuid of the linux partition now it finds my sd card and the partitions on it but it still searches for the boot partition on the usb drives and then kernel fatal error, atempting to kill kernel.
    I am a newbie, don't know what to do next, searched every forum and found only how to do it in ubuntu and it worked, the same as I wrote before but the ubuntu doesmn't work well, it's much slower.
    I installed mandriva 2010.1 20 times and tried different grub and initrd settings.
    Also mandriva doesn't find my battery and if I turn off the wireless I can't turn it back on, only in windows, maybe you think I am some kind of an idiot, please have patience with me. Also how can I add the noatime option to the partiton mounting so I can reduce the writes on disk?

Thanks,
    Alin

noatime option is done by editing /etc/fstab as root user using whatever text editor of your choice.
    SSD optimisation | Mandriva Forum
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AA1/Using

My Acer Aspire One won't boot from SD or SDHC. So I just use a SD/SDHC Pendrive Adapter (easy way out)
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-07-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thaks for reply and noatime, i have a pendrive adapter but it's not really an estetic way out.
    What about the battery you know how to fix it?

I don't run rpm distros like Mandriva, Fedora, or Open Suse. So I am not hip on what controls battery on those style of distros. I will have to dig into it.

I run Puppeee 4.3.7 Atom Kernel on mine via a 4gig Sandisk Pendrive. Also dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook with Windows XP SP3 on internal 120 gig sata Hardrive.

Batttery works on all distros on mine. All I can say is look into acpi and lmsensors in the Mandriva Package manager as a suggestion on the fly.

Since I am replying. This post will bump your thread and maybe some rpm distros users here will chime in and ask the right pertinent questions about what is going one with your battery. It might help also if you post more info on why your battery is not charging in Mandriva.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

post contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file, perhaps it isn't configured correctly (or /boot/grub/grub.conf if it uses grub2, I'm not a mandriva user)