Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Mandriva 2010 ONE CD with Gnome in my Gateway 3018 laptop (Celery 1000 or so with 256 MB RAM) and I'm having a lot of problems. I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Mandriva 2010 in a Gateway laptop

I installed Mandriva 2010 ONE CD with Gnome in my Gateway 3018 laptop (Celery 1000 or so with 256 MB RAM) and I'm having a lot of problems. I had 2009 running well for a while, but the more upgrades I did the more problems I had, so I wiped the linux partitions, and did a new install of 2010. (The machine dual-boots into XP as well). This is my first attempt at running Gnome, but I just tried the live KDE version, and it was worse!

For one thing, I have two wireless adapters, a Ralink N USB and a Belkin G PC card. It seems to recognize both, though the Belkin never blinks, and the Ralink blinks pretty steadily. I can get into one wireless network that I use easily enough, but not others. I have tried configuring them, to no avail. One problem I've found is that the password is retained in the system, and it seems to remember only the last one used, and applies it to other networks! That seems stupid. But even correcting that will not get me connected.

The other problem is that the machine slows down to a crawl after a few minutes, and I usually have to hit the switch to reboot. I have not been able to determine the cause of this problem either. It is really snappy when I first boot the computer, and I love the user interface on this distro!

Anyone have any ideas? The computer works fine in XP, dammit....

Linux Guru
    The Mandriva page indicates 512 MB RAM is minimum requirement and 1GB recommended so that may be part of your problem if you only have 256MB.

Don't know much about wireless so can't help with that.