Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my PC and its working fine i am a newbie to linux and 'Unix' codeing in general. would mandriva be better to use than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Is Mandriva any good?

Currently i'm running ubuntu 10.04 on my PC and its working fine i am a newbie to linux and 'Unix' codeing in general. would mandriva be better to use than untuntu 10.04?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Better? How?

I tried Mandriva (the free version) and was happy with it. As I explored their documentation and user community further, I learned that Mandriva has an optional annual subscription for the full capability distro that compares with what you get for free in Ubuntu. For that reason alone, I would think that Ubuntu would be "better." I never quite figured out what capability didn't come with the free distro, but there must be a good explanation of that somewhere.

Nobody can tell you which distro is better for you. You should try as many distros as you like and decide yourself.

Check Top 10 distros listed at distrowatch.com>. Ranking at distrowatch.com is based on pages Hit Per Day. One of my favorite distro is not even in Top 100.

Most of distros come as LiveCD. There is no need to install any. Just run LiveCD and check if you like it. Check if it detects and configure all of your Hardware before installation.

Check the link in my Signature too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First