Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Update: Opening up the ATI Catalyst control center to try and make some changes and it wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the Display setup section, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update:

Opening up the ATI Catalyst control center to try and make some changes and it wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the Display setup section, so I disabled the Xinerama option in Xorg.conf. I then had to log in a root (the control center denoted with Administrative wouldn't come up, and it wouldn't let me change display settings as a regular user), and was able to fiddle with settings to get the same end result as Xinerama provided (extended desktop with ability to drag windows across both).

Graphics are a LITTLE bit better, browser screens scroll almost smoothly, though when a popup info bar (like do you want to save the password in Chromium) displays it is VERY jerky. 3D is still not an option.

On a side note, overall everything seems to run kinda slow. I was expecting it to be zippy, and I am pretty sure it is just some setting or something, but want to get things up and running like they should.

Hmm, sounds to me like your xorg.conf is not specifying the correct ATI driver, or has a conflicting setting? Should be all good since ATI configured it... . May be using the default Linux driver (which is equivalent to the card working in "software" mode, without 3D hardware support, depending on settings like "NoAccel" etc.). Or, in my case, the setting for "dri" messed things up and I had to disable it. There are tweaks that you can make.

Can you post your xorg.conf in the LF paste-bin (Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002!) for us to see?
    Last edited by sarlacii; 10-04-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticTheory View Post
    Update:

Opening up the ATI Catalyst control center
    <snip>
    Oh, and yes, as you noticed, LOL you've got to watch for different tools making incompatible changes. It's generally best to pick a GUI that works well, and then tweak a bit manually if required. Otherwise, you do end up with the ATI tool making one set of changes, which the PClinuxOS tool then changes further, etc. etc. We all been there... .

For 3D effects I found that I had to enable it in the PClinuxOS control panel, but then also configure from the login screen, when choosing a desktop/windows manager. This is with an upgraded PCLOS 2007 though, so it may no longer apply to a clean 2010 install.
    Last edited by sarlacii; 10-04-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added clarity...
    ~~

Once I get back to that point I will. I decided to disable my onboard RAID and it killed everything, so had to reinstall and start over. I am now running 2 distros, Mandriva and SUSE, to see which one I like better, as Mandriva seemed really slow to me, in addition to the graphics problems.

I haven't given up on it yet, as I think there is a good probablility that it was settings or setup error rather than the distro itself.

Regarding your suggestions:
    I believe the driver was right, as it had changed from what it was and matched the driver name I have seen others state they were using for ATI proprietary drivers (something-flrgx). I did look through the xorg.conf file to see if there was anything out of place, and it seemed ok, but I am a long way from being an expert, so will post it if/when I get to that point.

I found the best (and easiest) results using th ATI CCC, and didn't make any other changes through the CP, but also didn't check the xorg.conf after that to see if anything was out of whack, or just to see what was changed.

Regarding enabling 3D effects, it is not even selectable, I can't specify any option other than disalbed. That is under the CP>3D Settings. If I go to CP>Hardware>Diplay Driver I can check "Enable 3D", but if I log out and back in it is unchecked again. And not sure what you mean by choosing a desktop/windows manager, care to enlighten me

Hey there

What I was referring to was that when you turn on your box, the login screen that comes up has some options in it (before you type in your username and password). There should be a place where you can click to select your window manager etc. (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc.) that should also allow you to select 3D desktop, and to choose to configure it (Compiz-fusion). This should then enable things.

However, have you got the correct packages installed? Type the following and check the output (post the results if you like):

rpm -qa 'compiz*'

You should get a list of installed packages like so:

[sarlacii@home ~]$ rpm -qa 'compiz*'
    compiz-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-wm-gnome-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-fusion-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compizconfig-python-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-bcop-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-decorator-gtk-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    compiz-fusion-icon-0.0.1-0.20080912.1pclos2007
    compiz-decorator-kde-0.7.8-1pclos2007
    [sarlacii@home ~]$
    Last edited by sarlacii; 10-09-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added extra information
    ~~

Just Joined!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticTheory View Post
    OK, logged in as root (as indicated by the #) navigated to the correct folder and tried runing the file, but I get a permission denied. Any ideas?
    Figured out the driver install part! Had to "chmod -x" the file then it installed fine.

Also found out I had to install GCC package, then ran install file and selected Build Package, which detected my distro and ran ok apparently. Rebooted and now in the process of figuring out how to set up the dual monitor part. Searching around but no luck yet, if anyone has advice it is appreciated

Also, how can I confirm the drivers were installed?

EDIT: Found drivers under the system control>devices

Also used following commands to enable and set up dual monitors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2