Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am fairly new to Linux so I'm sorry if I've missed something. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 on my computer. When I boot up my system and KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Generic Ps2 Scroll Mouse - Incorrectly Detected.

I am fairly new to Linux so I'm sorry if I've missed something. I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 on my computer.

When I boot up my system and KDE loads up the mouse is not responding. I have a generic PS2 wheel mouse and Mandrake is automatically assigning my mouse the [any PS2 & UBS] driver which does not work.

If I use the keyboard to change the mouses driver settings in mandrake control centre to [Generic PS2 scroll mouse] then the mouse works fine until I reboot at which point my settings changes are lost.

My XF85Config looks like this once I change it from the detected settings.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

How do I stop Mandrake from overwriting my mouse settings on start up?

Retro

Linux Engineer
    you could edit it as root, make sure taht the mouse section is correct and then change the permissions to 0222 (chmod 0222 /etc/X11/XF86Config)... that would keep anything from changing it unless it was SUID root... (even then i'm not sure if it could)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Thks lordnothing

My XF86Config has actually been updated, I've checked just it.

I have no idea why my mouse is not working on start-up until I manually assign a mouse in the control panel. Do please let me know if you have any ideas as to how I might correct this problem.

retro

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am also having the same problem in Gnome in MDK 10.1. The mouse works fine but only after changing the mouse in configuration. Any ideas on how to keep the setting as generic PS2 mouse would be great. During the install I specified generic PS2, but it keeps switching back to a universal mouse.

Just Joined!

Changing permissions does not help

I changed the permissions on /etc/X11/XF86Config but when you save the configuration in drakconf it did this

Mar 7 19:34:39 mousedrake[6169]: renamed file /etc/X11/XF86Config to /etc/X11/XF86Config.old
    Mar 7 19:34:39 mousedrake[6169]: removed files/directories /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Mar 7 19:34:39 mousedrake[6169]: symlinked file XF86Config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Mar 7 19:34:39 mousedrake[6169]: created file /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Mar 7 19:34:42 drakconf.real[6156]: modified file /etc/mcc.conf

leaving the old one read only!

Billlion