Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, I have been having problems with Mandrake 10.1 CE not recognizing my 3com Megahertz 56K pcmcia hardware modem. I've googled everywhere for info, yet it seems like nobody ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pcmcia hardware modem, Mandrake 10.1 CE

hi all, I have been having problems with Mandrake 10.1 CE not recognizing my 3com Megahertz 56K pcmcia hardware modem. I've googled everywhere for info, yet it seems like nobody uses modem cards anymore. I have fixed the bug listed to turn on the pcmcia controller. I have total power to my pcmcia card slots, and it when I do cardctl info it tells me that I have that card in the slot, and that everything is working fine. When I go into HardDrake however my pcmcia card is not listed, however it does recognize my cardbus controller. I have added yenta_socket and cardmgr in the right areas, yet nothing seems to work, and I don't seem to be able to configure the internet. Linux without the internet is useless to me so I haven't been using it, although I would love to. This modem works fine with no hassles on FC1 and XP. The last time I checked I have the latest ldetect lists, and my pcmcia cards are not on the list. Another bit of info is that Mandrake recognizes my winmodem, yet I know that is worthless. The main reason why I bought the modem was so I could use the internet in linux. I need to get the modem working on Mandrake.

Can anyone please help me fix this problem? I really would love to stop relying on Windows XP.

Linux Newbie
    You said it recognizes your winmodem. Do you have access to the internet using the winmodem?

Just Joined!
    You said it recognizes your winmodem. Do you have access to the internet using the winmodem?
    I cannot set up the internet with the winmodem mainly because I don't know if the software for it exists, and I cannot set up the internet for the winmodem without the winmodem software.

I'm wondering if the winmodem is blocking the pcmcia modem's installation, or something like that. Could I remove the winmodem from harddrake (or remove the winmodem from recognition by the os)?
    [/quote]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I would take a look at http://www.linmodems.org/

Just Joined!
    I know about linmodems... I just want to use my pcmcia modem in Mandrake, mainly because it is a faster modem. If I do get a hook up with my linmodem what would I do after that to get my pcmcia modem working?

Linux Newbie
    I was going at that to save $. I do not know if you can return it or not it was just a suggestion.
    check /etc/pcmcia/config and also /dev/modem/
    in the config here is a sample script
    case "$ADDRESS" in
    *,0,*)
    # Options for modem in socket 0
    LINK=/dev/modem0
    ;;
    *,1,*)
    # Options for modem in socket 1
    LINK=/dev/modem1
    ;;
    esac

Just Joined!
    oh, sorry. I guess i didn't get enough information. The ESS Superlink modem came hardwired into my HP ZT1130 laptop. as much as I want to throw it away i cannot. I have already bought the 3com, and it looks like I might have to switch back over to Fedora, or something like that. but I was hoping at least I could solve the problem in Mandrake and use mandrake.

Just Joined!
    lol. I guess I broke something. I found an ESS modem driver for mandrake, and I guess I didn't have the instructions clear. now when it starts up, I get the command line, and startx won't log me back on. looks like I'll have do a reinstall this weekend.