Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a hard drive that is set up as a slave drive for storage. For some reason, when I log in as a user, it says "access denied'. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to Access Slave HD Unless Logged In as Root

I have a hard drive that is set up as a slave drive for storage. For some reason, when I log in as a user, it says "access denied'. When I log in as root, I can access it. I have tried everything, even creating permissions specifically for this drive, but nothing has worked. I even logged in as root and went to the properties of the drive and put in that all users have access. Still no access except as root. Anyone have any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    Well i think you must edit your fstab file.Edit the line which is for the partition of your drive and make it like that
    Code:
    /dev/hdx     <mountpoint>   <filesystem type>           iocharset=utf8,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    All of that in one line whre x is the number of the partition
    Q: what\'s tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
    A: a canary with the super-user password.

the exact ansawer to the Q is that all you realy needed was to add 'users' under the <opts> collumn. so that ppl in the users group can access that partition (or in your case that whole hdd)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    in /etc/fstab, the line that correspond to the drive you want to access from any user,

add ",user"
    in the opt string the 4th string value

1st
    /dev/<deviceName>

2nd
    /mnt/<mountName>

3rd
    <fileSystem TYPE>

4th
    <opt>
    ex: iocharset=8559-1,rw
    simply add a comma followed by the "user"

the 2 other param, are usualy 0 0 for a configuration like yours and can be removed since the system will default them to 0 if they are missing

by using ",user", you will have an icon on the desktop pointing directly to this device

the fstab cannot be modified by a regular user unless you give it write access.

if you dont know how,
    go in terminal
    su
    put in your password
    go to your /etc folder
    then type chmod 777 fstab
    or chmod o+w fastab

now you can oprn fstab from any text editor

if you need any help just ask ;)
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys. I did everything as suggested but nothing worked. So, I took the Windows user approach....I reinstalled it. This time I moved up to MDK 10. Everything is working fine, even my mouse! Woo hoo!

The only problem I have is that I don't know how to do some of the basic things using the GUI. I'm sure there are tons of DOS-type codes on how to do stuff, but I don't know the commands for linux like I do for DOS. I want to try and use this lovely interface. I'll be posting some questions on the main board in a few minutes. Right now I'm running mandrake update.

Thanks again!

Linux Engineer
    good
    we'll glady give a hand :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps