Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can't figure out what happened but the mouse scroll wheel no longer works. Also lost the "Shutdown" option in KDE "start" menu. I now use "Logout" and then in text ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost mouse scroll

Can't figure out what happened but the mouse scroll wheel no longer works. Also lost the "Shutdown" option in KDE "start" menu. I now use "Logout" and then in text mode type "Halt" or Reboot". On top of that, whenever Linux boots, it now boots in text mode instead of KDE. I type "KDE" and it launches KDE GUI but it used to do it automatically. I have monkeyed with the control center but am having no luck. I'm using Mandrake 10.0 and am thinking about reinstalling it.

Linux Engineer
    no need to re-install

first about the terminal startup,
    if you messed around the kde control, theres a few thing idd like to know.
    in KDE panel, go into auto login.. is there a check in there about log with graph or not...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    In the System | Login Manager | Convenience there is a check in the "Enable auto-login", but not anything like "log with graph".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    from the start menu
    system / configuration / Cpmfigure your computer

under the BOOT section
    Autologin
    select the Launch the graph environment
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Bingo! Many thanks for that. I haven't rebooted yet, but that has to be what was wrong.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for shedding light on the problem! That fixed the boot up in terminal problem. I stayed in the "configure your computer" and messed with the mouse settings. Didn't seem to help, but after reboot the scroll wheel was restored!!!! Thanks for helping me.

As part of the 49% in U.S., I'd like to say "sorry" to Canada and the world, we tried.

Linux Guru
    As part of the 49% in U.S., I'd like to say "sorry" to Canada and the world, we tried.
    I'm with you, dude!

I'm sure you've already seen this...
    http://www.sorryeverybody.com/
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    Lol
    I really appreciate your concern... but lets not get unfocused with politics... otherwise we'll all end up killing each other... we're all here for one simple reason.. sharing are knowlegde... (as well as our problems :P )

Just Joined!
    You are correct. I know how the forums can get off track with stuff like that. I had a weak moment. My promise to the forum will be to stay on the subject. Thanks again for the help!