Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Mandriva desktop has disappeared & this is the 2nd time this has happened, last time I fixed it my inserting the installation disk and letting it 'upgrade' the existing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Desktop is gone for the second time.

My Mandriva desktop has disappeared & this is the 2nd time this has happened, last time I fixed it my inserting the installation disk and letting it 'upgrade' the existing installation but no joy this time around.

I can get to the login screen, select my user-name & enter my password, then the system goes through the normal graphical start-up but instead of my desktop loading a blank black screen with just a cursor-pointer appears.

I could always do a re-install but if anyone else has experienced this and knows what it is, maybe even a quick fix for it, that'd be great.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

What graphics chip is your box using? I don't run rpm distros so won't be of much help.

Wondering if you can use your xorg.conf from Mandriva live cd to fix also, In Debian based distro I would have suggested dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command but don't know what Mandriva uses for that command.

Usually after a good working Linux install. First thing I do is backup /boot/grub/menu.list and /etc/X11/xorg.conf for cases like this. Also backup any files I plan on editing later also like /etc/fstab. Good luck with it.

Edit: after googling fedora 14 and xorg. These newer versions don't ship with a etc/X11/xorg.conf. So I am way off base with these newer rpm distros. One has to manually create one in these newer releases.
    How to create xorg.conf - FedoraProject

So go with Devils Casper advise and post relevant info.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 02-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

You have to re-install Graphics Card driver after every kernel upgrade in every distro. If you have Nvidia or ATI Card, re-install it driver in Safe Mode.

Which Card do you have and which version of Mandriva are you using?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hi, graphics card is ATI Radeon 7000 Series (RV100), according to an application I have installed in XP that reads hardware. O.S is Mandriva 2010.2 (the latest version).

How do I re-install the driver in safe mode? I have never done that before.

I seem to have solved this for now by downloading a newer ISO image from Mandriva's site and doing an 'upgrade' using that (I'm booted into Mandriva as I write and my desktop is as I left it)