Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just finished installing the Dld version of Mandrake 10.0, went without a hitch, but when it starts to boot up, it first hangs up when initializing something like "eth0", ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

10.0, Install went fine, but it won't reboot!

I just finished installing the Dld version of Mandrake 10.0, went without a hitch, but when it starts to boot up, it first hangs up when initializing something like "eth0", after awhile it fails, then it just goes to a black screen and does nothing.

Any help?

\EDIT: Just decided to go for SuSE after reinstalling it again to the same problem. SuSE seems to be working fine, but it appears that I made a typo in the root password so i'll be reinstalling that. Oh well at least I know it will work. Thanks everyone who at least looked at this post. Go ahead and delete it if you wish admins.

Just Joined!

Somebody please help!

I also downloaded and installed mandrake 10.0 without any problem but i get a black blank screen when i try to reboot after installation.
    I would appreciate any help.

Just Joined!
    what kind of video card do you have? is it a pci or agp.. recently i had installed linux using a pci video card and had the same problem..i put in an agp and it started working.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

mandrake install

thanks for your reply.
    i have a pci video card. i finally got it to work. i found the answer at this link. http://mandrakeusers.org/lofiversion...hp/t17018.html
    everything worked fine once i used the generic video card driver.
    now i'm having a different problem. i have sound when kde starts up and when it exits and the test sound in the sound system plays fine. but i dont have sound when i play a cd. the tracks and playing time are displayed but there is no sound. i would appreciate any help. thanks

Linux Engineer
    cd sound volume is default set to mute, go to aumix, alsamix, or anyother mixer program from the command line and unmute all values, then save the asound.state file, so you won't have to remix everytime you reboot

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks for the quick reply.
    i havent had time to try your suggestion but as soon as I do I'll let you know how it went.

Just Joined!

Oops

Sorry it took so long for me to post a reply.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me. My Linux system is working fine now.
    The sound problem turned out to be caused by a missing audio cable from the CD drive to the motherboard. The problem now is that my motherboard only has one audio cable connector but I have a CD drive and a DVD drive. So how do I provide sound to both drives. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    LINUX ROCKS!!!!