Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been having no luck trying to test my new HP Pavilion (model T760.uk) to see if it;ll run either Suse Pro 8 or 9.1 ( i have both of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TFT Monitor goes black when I try to run suse eval CD

I've been having no luck trying to test my new HP Pavilion (model T760.uk) to see if it;ll run either Suse Pro 8 or 9.1 ( i have both of these plus the 9.1 Eval CD)

The hardware is: T1723 17" TFT Monitor
    Radeon X300SE
    DVD writer
    DVD Drive

The problem with the Eval CD is that when I boot , the screen goes black and the monitor displays a message like "Cannot Adjust to input"

When I try and load the Suse install disks, the version 8.0 freezes and 9.1 doesn't get past the boot and 'installing kernel' dialog. Then the same "Cannot adjust to input" message comes up.

Obviously, without the monitor I have no idea if the Eval CD is working, does anyone know what the solution is?

I've had this problem with SuSE 9.2 live, and only sorted it by plugging a different monitor in when I was booting and then changing it back once it ws up and running;

hope this helps;
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Well, it seems for an install you need to hit F2 and change the setting to 800X600 or whatever. However a new interesting thing happens......the install freezes!!

I have now wasted nearly 2 months trying to get an acceptable install of:

suse 8.0
    Suse 9.1
    Mandrake 10.1 Community (the worst of the lot)

It seems that, despite all the trawling for hints, and advice, there's always somethign that's just not working. And despite all the conjecture I've read about how slow and rubbish Windows is, at least is sodding works. I'd rather have the odd unexpected crash, in the knowledge that it's fixable compared to the wasted hours I've spent trying to figure out which particular problem was affecting Linux. I think that, if you enjoy fiddling endlessly with your PC then you love Linux. Me? I'll put the work in, but only for the reward of it working smoothly once I'm done.

So that's it. goodbye.

Before you give up, do you have a CD burner? Go to www.distrowatch.com find knoppix and Mepis, down load the ISOs, burn them, boot them. Both are live CD and do not lnstall on to the computer. If these two distros do not work, then it is time to take the HP back and tell them to fix it. The most liklely problem is the cheep no name onboard video chip.

Just Joined!

Thanks

for the advice and the sentiment - but I've tried Suse 9.1 Live, Knoppix won't load. the PC has an HP brand DVD burner and separate DVD ROM drive. The problem is th efact that the install process just freezes, I've tried

suse 8 Cd
    Suse 8 DVD
    Suse 9.1 CD
    Suse 9.1 DVD

All freeze

I've tried Knoppx and Yoper, neither get very far either. Mandrake did load, but as th eHP doesn't have a floppy (I know I know I'll get one) the install cocked up the bootloader and I had to waste another 2 hours reinstalling Win XP.

the graphics cards is a ATI Radeon X300SE, from my googling, it didn't appear to cause any trouble, the freeze is a mystery.

I have semi-successfully installed 9.1 onto my old pc, with a compeltely successful install of 8.0 too (internet, sound, CD burning, the lot) all as a dry run for my new HP pc. But it seems that I've been a bit too keen to believe all the 'bleeding edge' stuff I read about.

Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbarthug
    for the advice and the sentiment - but I've tried Suse 9.1 Live, Knoppix won't load. the PC has an HP brand DVD burner and separate DVD ROM drive. The problem is th efact that the install process just freezes, I've tried
    If SuSE 9.1 live did not work, then the real one sure won't. If Knoppix or Mepis will not load, then there is something wrong with the computer, if it will not load a live CD, then there is something just plain wrong. The only thing you might try is in the BIOS, the PNP OS option, change it, save it and try loading one of the live CDs to see what happens.

All freeze
    I had to waste another 2 hours reinstalling Win XP.
    I have semi-successfully installed 9.1 onto my old pc, with a compeltely successful install of 8.0 too (internet, sound, CD burning, the lot) all as a dry run for my new HP pc. But it seems that I've been a bit too keen to believe all the 'bleeding edge' stuff I read about.
    I do not know what "bleeding edge" stuff you are refering to, but the hype can be thick in places. See your old machine worked and no Linux will not load up perfect on all distros or all machines, some teweaking may still be needed. I still say if the HP is still under warranty, take it back and tell them to fix it. There is a reason why HP is low on the off the shelf computer list.

Just Joined!

some honest feedback

I can appreciate you are trying to help dude, but do you really have to slag off my hardware?

I might be a newbie, but in the work I've been doing to get help and help others, I always try to be helpful. Having a pop at my 'no name card' and the actual HP PC are a bit unfair, don't you think. Especially when you didn't ask what they were?

I'll bet there's hundreds of newbies just like me, who have some level of PC savvy, and enough to know that when they choose a new PC to do research and make sure that, in my case, HP are actively supporting the Linux community, rather than going with 'Brand X' with peripherals and components from all over the place. that's why I picked them for my new PC. To then hear that they're 'low on the list for off the shelf computers' just sounds like conjecture and completely unsubstantiated. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums that let you bad mouth, but come on, is this really the forum to do that on?

I'm sure my problem will get sorted eventually, but if you're willing to take some advice from me - pls don't go for the cheap shot and bad mouth the hardware, because it sounds like you're shooting yourself in the foot. New linux users need supportive feedback.

For example, how would you like it if the next time you took your car to the garage because you heard a pinging noise after swapping fuel suppliers (Esso to BP), only to be told, "yeah, that's the problem with Ford cars".

so, it's your fault for spending 10000 on a car because a certain brand of fuel doen't work ideally?

Just Joined!
    Are you using a DVI cable to your monitor?

A friend had the same problem, we solved it by chancing his DVI cable to a normal VGA. There is probably a better solution around, involving som Xorgconfig hacking.

Linux Guru
    Maybe this should be moved to the Suse section?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    don't see why dude, my original post was to do with a Mandrake installation - the other info was to illustrate how much effort I'd put in to try other distro's. Just so happens I had quite a few versions of Suse to try, but I also tried Cobind, Knoppix, Yoper.

My point is simply to encourage constructive feedback in these topics - I myself have tried to do this and have benefitted from similar advice from others on this and other forums.

"Do unto others...." I read that in a book once........

As it happens, and just to show that I'm an honest guy, I am arranging to return the HP desktop as I have now encountered booting problems, unrelated to Windows or Linux.

So, if it turns out that was the problem all along, I'll let you all know via this post. But my point is still valid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast