Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just mounted a windows drive and here's the story: 1. I mounted the partition with mount. 2. My fstab file is correct, like this: Code: /dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Access to location denied

I just mounted a windows drive and here's the story:

1. I mounted the partition with mount.
    2. My fstab file is correct, like this:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
    3. I add a new hard drive in the desktop and choose the device in the Device tab. I select dev/hdc1.
    4. When i try to open it, there's a msg that says: "Unable to enter file:mnt/win_c. You do not have access rights to this location."

What's wrong with it?

Just Joined!
    It sounds to me like the user account you are trying to mount that drive with does not have permissions to that folder in root. You should be able to fix this problem by simply changiing the permissions on that directory to match that of your floppy/cdrom drive, which I assume all users have access to. Assuming that the directory for your floppy/cdrom drive is located in /mnt, simply executing
    Code:
    chmod --reference=/mnt/cdrom /mnt/win_c
    as root should fix the permissions problem. If you are wanting to be able to write to the drive you will , however need to change the entry for that device in your fstab, as I see you are mounting it read-only.

Linux Engineer
    also, keep in mind that unless you specify a umask for winblows drives in fstab, you will *not* be able to read/write to them unless you are the user that mounted the drive. no matter what the perms are on the mount point. this is because M$ fs's are horribly broken and do not support multi-user posix permissions schemes.... so a umask allowing at least reading by all is necessary..

this has been covered before, but i've forgotten where/what the posts were...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, let's go ahead and get this thing done. I am sick of not being able to view my files. Ok now, i've tried every single thing you have said here. And i still can't have access, the same error shows up. Here's a link where the procedure is explained in better detail than some other's i read.

Also, is there like a way to verify if the fstab has any errors, um, like bad number of parameters or parameters misspelled. I ask cause i think samba's config file does have a function that verifies if the file has been corrupted. I don't quite recall.

BTW, how do i kill konqueror when it freezes? I type top on a terminal but can't find a significant name (the only thing i hate about linux) for this process. I need it's PID to kill it and start over, i hate stalled windows.

Um, i now have access to both ntfs partitions, and here are the lines for those partitions in etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d ntfs users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hdc6 /mnt/win_e ntfs users,owner,rw,umask=000 0 0
    As you can see, they are both set to read/write, but i can't do either. What's going on here? I can browse and add my mp3s to XMMS but i can't add or remove files.[/b]