Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've looked through numerous xf86config-related posts in this forum but haven't quite found anything like I'm experiencing... I'm running RH 9 on a linuxcertified lc2210 laptop with a native 1024x768 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XF86Config Mystery

I've looked through numerous xf86config-related posts in this forum but haven't quite found anything like I'm experiencing...

I'm running RH 9 on a linuxcertified lc2210 laptop with a native 1024x768 resolution for the 15" laptop screen and XFree86 4.4.0. Now I got a 17" LG L1730 LCD that I plug in to the laptop's 15-pin monitor plug. The pictures is awesome, but the 17" screen's native resolution is 1280x1024, so I've tried to get this changed, which is where the problem starts...

I've tried the following, all to no avail:

- Change /etc/X11/XF86Config to reflect a different Monitor0 and different resolution options in the Screen0 subsection;
    - Use redhat-config-xfree86 to adjust resolution and monitor;
    - remove /etc/X11/XF86Config altogether

The last one is particularly puzzling - I removed the XF86Config (I have no other XF86Config in any of the locations the man mentions)!

Can it be that the configuration options for monitor, screen resolution, etc. are hardwired somewhere else?

How can I get my LCD to show at 1280x1024 (multi-monitor options seem out of the question because my laptop only has one graphic card).

Thanks for any and all help

Just Joined!

to add to the mystery

The KDE Infor Center's X-Server section tells me my Screen0 has a 1024x768 pixel resolution - where does it take that information from if I deleted /etc/X11/XF86Config ?

Have you tried runing X from the terminal yet? Have you also considered posting your question the Red Hat help forum instead of the Mandrake one?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I haven't tried runing X from the Terminal - would that use a different config file?

I mistakenly posted this on the Mandrake list because I created the topic after a search for XF86Config which for some reason dumped me here. I've since reposted in Red Hat.

Under Lunux if you setup the monitor for one type, shut down the machine, change monitors, turn the machine back on, X still thinks it is using the first monitor. You need to run X from terminal mode, reset things to the new monitor, restart X and then you are good to go.

I had to edit this file to in the past, maybe this will help you.

I had to install my nvidia drivers for my video card, and to my surprise, there were like to files named similarly. I read in the nvidia site that you had to check which version to use. In my case, it was the config-4 file, and i was modifying the one that was named config only.

Here are the files:
    XF86Config
    XF86Config-4

I obviously had problems cause i was editing the first one, and my version of X was using the -4 config file. So actually what you said is right, there are 2 files. There was a log file you could check that says which file is currently using. Let me find out which file was that.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, zeeone and sheds, for the suggestions.

I have tried to restart X form terminal mode, but it still does not take account of the "1280x1024" I added to the subsection in XF86Config's Screen section (sheds, my system definitely works with XF86Config, not XF86Config-4, the latter I think has been "obsoleted" with XFree86 4.4.0). I think what happened when I deleted /etc/X11/XF86Config, XFree86 4.4.0 created a new on on the fly, I just didn't find out where it put it (/var/log/XFree86.0.log sitll said it used /etc/X11/XF86Config)

I can cycle through my resolutions with Ctrl+Alt+Num+ (that's the + sign of the numerical keyboard), but it only cycles through 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. I found out in my /var/log/XFree86.0.log that these are the built-in VESA modes for the i810 driver that guides my 855GM chipset, so I'm probably stuck with 1024x768 unless I can somehow create a virtual console with a higher resolution.

So I'm still not quite there, yet. Worse, my new flat screen just died on me, so it will take a couple of weeks to get a replacement (welcome to customer care in Italy).

I noted that the i810 driver supports two "display pipes" and that my laptop display durrently runs on Pipe B. I wonder if I could configure pipe A do to run off the parallel VGA port and use the 1280x1024 native resolution of the flatscreen. I've also looked at xinerama, but I've read that it creates dead areas if you use displays with different resolutions.

The saga continues... Does anybody have experience with using these "display pipes" with monitors attached to laptops?