Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am running a dual boot system with XP and Mandrakelinux 10.1 It appears that Mandrake installed flawlessly except for the sound card. It indicated "failed" during the initial install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound card issue

I am running a dual boot system with XP and Mandrakelinux 10.1 It appears that Mandrake installed flawlessly except for the sound card. It indicated "failed" during the initial install and boot. When I retried it asked whether or not it is an ISA sound card. I have an ESS1869 card and I do believe it is ISA because the computer was purchased in '98. When ISA was selected I was prompted to enter either "alsaconf" or "sndconfig" at the command line. I am brand new to Linux and am not to familer. I believe I know where the command line is, but could not get this to work. Can anyone help with this?

Just Joined!
    Additional information with the sound. When I boot the system, as KDE 3.2 starts I get this message:

Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Any help is appreciated. TOM

Just Joined!
    I went under system configuration to the sound selection and it looks like 10.1 wants to configure sound but again I get the message on a previous reply above. I think it may be down to a matter of drivers but I am not sure. To be continued...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    HELP PLEASE. I researched and found that with the Ess1869 sound card you need to check ISA card during install then run sndconfig in order to get it to work. I did do this the first time I installed Mandrake 10.1. I decided to do another install, lost all of my old configurations and files, and selected ISA again. Again, it did not work. I do not know what else to do. Again, PLEASE HELP.

Linux Guru
    Tom,

You have to run sndconfig as root. Did you get through that successfully?

Here's another resource for you to:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...cat=998&page=8

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    You mean to run it from the command line as the root user? Is that correct. If so, I have tried that and the error message that came up was "could not run that specified command". If that is not what you are talking about, could you tell me what you mean by the "root" thanks a lot.

Linux Guru
    I ment root user, yes. Did you install ISA support and then try to run it?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Yes, during the install I had selected ISA and was prompted as to what I needed to enter once the system was up and running. However, at the command line when I enter the command sndconfig as the root user it only gives me the error message.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that link posted above. I actually did a search yesterday and read that exact posting. That posting is what prompted me to try to reinstall Mandrake 10.1 in an effort to try to correct this. I had checked ISA and as we have discussed, tried to run as the root withoug success. I definately did not get a graphical interface. The system simply did not do anything.

Just Joined!
    I have also researched the alsconf command, but do not understand it too well. This posting made it appear that you simply run it, but I read further and it seems in depth and involves configuring the kernel. Here is that post:

philipacamaniac

Distribution: Slackware 10, Slackware-current, Slax

It is very easy to get this card working. Simply run alsaconf, and the program will detect and modprobe the appropriate driver module. That's as easy as they come...

Note: this card can be found in old Compaq AP400 Professional Workstations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast