Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a begginner with linux. I have install mandrake in dual boot with windows xp (mandrake community ver. 10.1). Everything was working fine. I use the urpmi fonction to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bug with update from community to official

Hello,

I'm a begginner with linux. I have install mandrake in dual boot with windows xp (mandrake community ver. 10.1). Everything was working fine. I use the urpmi fonction to upgrade to the 10.1 official. The first time I reboot after this upgrade, I have to answer some questions for marketing purpose to mandrake. After that, the logon screen appear (I was in auto logon mode previously). Anyway, I enter my login and password, but the logon screen re-appear all the time, I cannot have acces to the desktop. If I got in console mode (CTRL-ALT-F1). I can logon and redo an upgrade with urpmi. But when I reboot or go back to the graphic mode (CTRL-ALT-F7) I still cannot go throught the logon screen.

Anyone know why I have this problem. By the way, sorry for my english, This is not my first language.

Thanks.

I had this trouble also. It was with a regular user though, so I logged in as root and then created a new user. I then browsed to all of my old documents and changed the permissions to that of the new user and logged out. When I logged in with the new user I was okay and I took back all of my old documents. Nuisance I know but...

I should mention this happened to me going from Mdk 10 Official to Mdk 10.1 Community. Also had trouble with X.org cos I had nVidia drivers manually installed.

-------

Dell i8500
    P4 2.4 GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR
    80GB Toshiba
    nVidia GeForce 4200 Go