Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I know this is not a new topic as I have searched this and other fora and turned up a plethora of results. When I try to install I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 Community Install Problem

Hi,

I know this is not a new topic as I have searched this and other fora and turned up a plethora of results.

When I try to install I get the "Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk" error. I downloaded and checked the ISOs directly from the sunsite FTP server (the link from mandrakelinux.com).

Almost all solutions refer to overburning CDs and rewriting CDs but I am getting this same error when I decompress the ISOs (using WinRAR) into a windows folder and try and install from there using GRUB on a bootable floppy.

In the log I am getting the error "UNEXPECTED_EOF" relating to the second stage ramdisk decompression.

I'm a total newbie and am completely at a loss to how I can install Mandrake 10.1 on my system - please help [don't consign me to windows forever]!!!! I know I could try other distros but I am of the understanding that this is the best one for newcomers.....

My system:
    PIII 550MHz
    128MB (100MHz) RAM
    80GB HDD

Thanks in advance,
    Richard.

Just Joined!
    I have sympathy for you m8 - I get the same problem.

I installed Ubuntu linux and even though I was ready for problems, I didn't anticipate that it wouldnt support any of the 3 mice I have here! So since it was unusable I thought I would try Mandrake and this one won't even install!!!

Guess I will have to try a 3rd linux distribution, hmm second thoughts maybe I will just stick to XP.