Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Mandriva forum. I can't make up my own mind so I figured I'd ask you for input. I have a server on which I want to do some swapping ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Should I wait for 2011 release?

Hello Mandriva forum. I can't make up my own mind so I figured I'd ask you for input.

I have a server on which I want to do some swapping of drives and new partitioning to get it to run on fewer drives (throwing out some old small ones to save my electrical bill and get the room cooler). This will include having to reinstall Mandriva since I want to replace the drive that root is currently installed to.

Now my question is whether I should do the installation now and install 2010.2 again, or if it makes more sense to wait until 2011 is out (most information I could find for the release is august 29th).

What say you? Is 2011 worth the wait?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Is this a critical system or not? August seems to far to wait if it is. I'd just install whatever version is out now or install something thats supported for longet e.g. Scientific Linux 6 or Debian Stable.

Thanks for the answer daark child.
    No it's nothing critical. As stated is is to allow me to swap some drives to make it more energy efficient, the system is running fine as is from a stability aspect. (I do have a raid5 set of 3 drives with one missing, but I can cope wit that by a full manual copy for a month or two).

I've run Mandriva for 4 years now and I'm quite happy with it. This is combination with that I'm not an ace when it comes to Linux but I am now familiar with setting up a Mandriva server makes me a bit reluctant to switch to another distribution.

I guess my real question is whether 2011 brings so much new things (and forward support) that it is worth the wait. Your post made me think again and I am starting to lean towards waiting.

Just Joined!
    Hi theMayhem,

I also would like to suggest you consider something more server oriented. Considering you are used to administer a redhat based distro have you ever thought of CentOS? Installing packets supports rpm, you can use yum as well and all config files are just where you find them in mandriva. On the other hand you will find that being redhat Enterprise based it is virtually unbreakeable and release cycle is comfortably long to deal with for server use.
    Ciao
    QatQat

Hi QatQat,

As I said I am quite used to Mandriva which means the effort for each upgrade is quite small to me. But on the other hand it never hurts to check out the alternatives. I'll have a look at CentOS as well as the two distributions suggested by daark child. Who knows, they might catch my attention.

To give some more details I use this server for personal use as:
    * file server
    * print server
    * web server (Apache)
    * MySQL database
    * DHCP
    * Firewall
    * Routing

Since I come from a windows background originally I prefer something with an accessible GUI although I tend to perform a lot of the work by command line for simplicity. I mostly connect through VNC although Putty has been known to happen.

It's running on a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 machine with 2GB RAM to give some performance contraints.

I'd day go ahead and install now, for a server I don't think there is going to be many changes from 2010.2 to 2011 as long as you keep installing the updates (that you should anyway).

Good luck