Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandriva free 2010.2 with KDE and I'm trying to install the proprietary drivers for my Radeon x800 XL graphics card by following the guide on Mandriva community wiki. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    gona

ATI proprietary driver installation on Mandriva free (+some tweaking)

I have Mandriva free 2010.2 with KDE and I'm trying to install the proprietary drivers for my Radeon x800 XL graphics card by following the guide on Mandriva community wiki. I have enabled the non-free and non-free updates repositories but when I open the graphical server configuration panel and try to select the graphics card I don't get any message about proprietary drivers.

The graphics settings are configured as follows:

Graphics card: ATI Radeon X1950 and earlier
    Display: 1280x1024/60Hz
    Resolution: Automatic (24bpp)

Then another problem: I have used Windows for a long time and one of the things I noticed when I installed Mandriva was that almost all fonts look messy. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe changing the font types? Any suggestions for good ones?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gona View Post
    I have Mandriva free 2010.2 with KDE and I'm trying to install the proprietary drivers for my Radeon x800 XL graphics card by following the guide on Mandriva community wiki. I have enabled the non-free and non-free updates repositories but when I open the graphical server configuration panel and try to select the graphics card I don't get any message about proprietary drivers.

The graphics settings are configured as follows:

Graphics card: ATI Radeon X1950 and earlier
    Display: 1280x1024/60Hz
    Resolution: Automatic (24bpp)
    Of course you are not going to get anything: AMD has already long dropped support for the X-series graphics cards in Catalyst.

Those cards are now only supported via the free radeon and radeonhd driver. Which should already have been baked into the distro itself.

gona
    Ok, thanks for the info. Old ATI cards don't seem to be the best option for Linux use...