Find the answer to your Linux question:
brand newbie here, in at the deep end. i just bought a new (to me) machine with mandrake 10.0 on it - the fact that it had linux was the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

adding alsaconfig after install - need to recompile?

brand newbie here, in at the deep end.

i just bought a new (to me) machine with mandrake 10.0 on it - the fact that it had linux was the main selling point. however, it was installed in a corporate environment and doesn't seem to have some of the major home/personal use stuff i'll be looking for, like kppp and the sound support. i'm not 100% sure what's inside the box, but it's a dell optiplex and so far the detective work has been pretty vanilla. big deal for me right now is the sound. system's recognising cds (finally) and can tell an audio from a data cd etc, but it can't find any devices.

i've done rpm -q for alsaconfig and sndconfig, and don't have either right now, so it seems likely that there is a card in there, the system just hasn't seen it. picking up my distro cds today, so i'll want to get either or both installed asap. just wondering if i'll have to recompile the kernel as well, and if so what kinds of obvious mistakes i should try not to make.

First off, you need to make sure the sound card is detected. Run lspci and post the output. Also post the output of lsmod.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy