Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a new installation of 10.1. I'm new to Mandrake, and somewhat new to Linux in general. The problem is that it won't automatically load KDE for the login ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE problems, new 10.1 install

I have a new installation of 10.1. I'm new to Mandrake, and somewhat new to Linux in general.

The problem is that it won't automatically load KDE for the login screen. I get errors regarding screens if I do a startx from the console. I check xorg.conf and all screens are set to 1280x1024 which isn't supported by my video card. I edit xorg.conf and change all screens to 1024x768. I can then startx and all is fine. However, upon reboot (whether going into KDE after editing xorg.conf or doing an immediate reboot), all screens in xorg.conf are reset to 1280x1024 and it won't boot into KDE.

Obviously I'm missing some pieces to the puzzle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Linux Guru
    Mandrake has a lot of anoying wizards designed to simplify life, but often times make it difficult if you want to directly edit your config files. Next time you get Xorg working, fire up Mandrake Control Center and set the resolution there. It's probably overwritting your Xorg.conf file everytime you re-start X.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your suggestion, Jeremy. Here's what I did.

After reboot I was taken to the console login. I logged in, went to su, then edited the screen sizes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, changing them from 1280x1024 to 1024x768.

Then I did startx to load KDE (forgetting to exit from su and logging into KDE as root), went to the Mandrake Control Center, then to Screen Resolution. It was already showing as 1024x768, so I OK'd and logged off.

After reboot, xorg.conf is again showing screen sizes of 1280x1024 and startx will not run.

Any other ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Using the wizard, try changing the resolution to something much lower like 680x480. After that change takes effect, change it back to 1024x768 using the wizard.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I noticed at the top of the conf file, it said it was generated by XFdrake. So I ran XFdrake, set my monitor type and resolution. I did startx, went to Mandrake Control Center / Hardware / Sreen Resolution. I changed from 1024x768 to 640x480. I logged off, logged back on, changed screen resolution back to 1024x768. I logged off, rebooted, and am back to square one with xorg.conf saying 1280x1024.

What would be changing the contents of that file upon reboot? Is there some other process or configuration I need to be looking at?

Linux Guru
    So it works if you change the resolution and restart the xserver, but not if you re-boot your computer? (Note, make sure you're really re-starting your xsever when you change resolutions: ctrl+alt+bkspc) What does your Xorg error log and dmesg say?

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    So it works if you change the resolution and restart the xserver, but not if you re-boot your computer? (Note, make sure you're really re-starting your xsever when you change resolutions: ctrl+alt+bkspc)
    When do I crtl+alt+bkspc? From KDE I log off, it returns me to the console where I type startx to return to KDE. Is there more I need to do?

What does your Xorg error log and dmesg say?
    Where would I find these?

Linux Guru
    Xorg error log is /var/log/xorg.log (or similar, maybe Xorg.log or xorg.0.log). dmesg a command that shows you the startup messages. Start with the xorg log, search for EE.

Code:
    more /var/log/xorg.log | grep EE
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    There is Xorg.0.log, Xorg.0.log.old, and a pair of Xorg.9.log. I don't have time to manually type in the entire result of the more command right now as I have to be leaving for work -- maybe tomorrow morning. The gist of it seems to be about virtual size 1280x1024 exceeding video memory and no usable screens found. That was in the last 2-3 lines, there were probably a dozen lines before that -- I'm not sure how pertinent...

I really appreciate all your help -- I'll enter the full results of the more command tomorrow if you think it will be helpful.

Just Joined!
    Here is the result of the more command:

(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 135962511)
    (EE) ATI(0): Virtual size (1280x1024) (pitch 1280) exceeds video memory
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast