Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I think I installed IE. Opened the download from the MS web site and the entire install process appeared to go fine managed by WINE including the final message to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Install Internet Explorer in WINE: how to launch

I think I installed IE.

Opened the download from the MS web site and the entire install process appeared to go fine managed by WINE including the final message to reboot the computer.

Problem is I cannot figure out where it is installed or how to launch the program?

If I try to install a different version WINE complains that a newer version is already installed.

Since I am setting this up for someone else I really need a launch icon in the menu or at least on the desktop.

( IE is required to access the web site of the MLS and the user is a realtor so IE is a necessity for this purpose )
    Already installed are cabextract and IEs4linux

I am pretty new and ignorant about much of linux. Please speak to me in terms a novice will understand !

I can read and follow instructions but don't always know what questions to ask in order to know what to read or what is relevant to a problem. I have not found much information in searches to help me solve this issue.

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume you installed a newer than 5.0 version of IE? I don't think they work in Wine. You will have to uninstall it. Go to the Wine Software Uninstaller tool and you should be able to remove it and install 5.0.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I just have tested IE8 installation via "winetricks" script. It just works. WineHQ community doesn't support installation ways other than by "winetricks" script. IE7 and IE6 didn't work out for me.

I urge you to wipe your ~/.wine directory from at terminal, run "wine start", download http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks and then run "sh winetricks ie8".

BTW, there are some test results published around, not necessarily new:
    WineHQ - Internet Explorer

EDIT: I used latest Wine version, that is 1.3.32, ATM.
    Last edited by saulius2; 11-07-2011 at 06:57 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I assume you installed a newer than 5.0 version of IE? I don't think they work in Wine. You will have to uninstall it. Go to the Wine Software Uninstaller tool and you should be able to remove it and install 5.0.
    No I installed IE 7

Question

okay. Did this. All seemed to go okay but still missing the information about how to launch IE?

The same terminal screen offered a command line to do so but that did nothing.

I really need a desktop icon to Launch the program so I can place it on a menu.

When I open the WINE uninstall is shows IE8 as being installed.

How do I actually launch IE8 ??
    Last edited by paulkruger; 11-07-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkruger View Post
    All seemed to go okay but still missing the information about how to launch IE?

The same terminal screen offered a command line to do so but that did nothing.
    Have you typed it by hand or just copy-pasted?

Then, what is your Wine version?
    $ wine --version

I really need a desktop icon to Launch the program so I can place it on a menu.
    I am not a menu expert, but what distro and Desktop Environment do you use?

How do I actually launch IE8 ??
    Once we figure out running from the terminal, we will be able to manually create some launcher.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You should be able to go either to where the .exe is located in your ~/.wine directory and double click on that, or go to the Applications->Wine->Programs menu and access it there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Question

As I stated I cannot fine the file other than in Konsol. When I look where terminal says /.wine is located it is not there in Dolphin so I cannot double click the .exe.

/home/Orlando/.wine ( exists in terminal, does not exist in file browser ? )

This is the terminal path to .exe.

/.wine/drive_c/windows/ie8/iexplore.exe

( /Program Files ) when trying to cd/ says it does not exist even though that folder appears in terminal.

Tried entering the path in terminal. Below is result if this helps?

[orlando@localhost ~]$ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/ie8/iexplore.exe
    wine: Call from 0x7bc4bf60 to unimplemented function iertutil.dll.653, aborting
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "urlmon.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\ie8\\iexplore.exe" failed, status 80000100

Trusted Penguin
    I followed saulius2's instructions and I too cannot launch ie8. Well, it launches, then aborts. In the terminal that launched it are a mess of Backtrace errors.

I'm running wine 1.3.18 on Fedora 15.

Just Joined!
    paulkruger, dot-directories and dot-files are also known as hidden. You should configure Dolphin to show hidden files to find it : )
    Linux Tips: View hidden files

I repeat this, but exact Wine version you are using is interesting too.

atreyu, can you upgrade to version 1.3.32, please? Your wine now is 7 months old. It changes every two weeks by a significant bit : )
    Wine - FedoraProject

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast