Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have some stuff from work that requires Adobe Acrobat. I do not want to boot into windows to use it, I would like to simply keep working and learning ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pdf. viewers

I have some stuff from work that requires Adobe Acrobat. I do not want to boot into windows to use it, I would like to simply keep working and learning in Linux. When I tried to open the file, it asked if I wanted to use Ghostview. It does not work and I am assuming I have to install it. I am an INSTALL RETARD. I can not get Ghostview to install. I also read the instructions on it. I get lost at the script point. Is there an easier program to install or are there some hints for Ghostview. Thanks!

You probably have a program such as xpdf installed (or if you use gnome also "gpdf")

Linux Guru
    There's a lot of pdf readers for linux. xpdf, kghostview, etc... You can even get Adobe Reader for Linux:
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/16/idka/34513

You can use UPRMI to install Acrobat Reader if you've set it up with PLF. The package is called acroread.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am running KDE 3.2. I probably shoud have told you that. I checked under publishing under office, and KGhostview is listed there. I think that is the pdf viewer for 3.2 . When I tried to open my file I got an error:

Could not open file file:/home/thomas/JAN%2005%20IAH%20JET%20FO.pdf.

I was checking into downloading a pdf viewer yesterday, and it appeared to be a formidable task for someone just starting out with Linux. I was prompted to run a program for scripts, etc... How easily does the Adobe install, or should I ask is there an easier way to install a pdf program?

Linux Engineer
    Tom, if you're running mandrake then set up the installer using the scripts here

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Then you can select and install using the Mandrake Package Manager in the Control Centre.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Thanks! Will definately try.

Just Joined!
    Which file do I need to install from the Install Manager? Is it graphical or off the workstation menu?

Just Joined!
    Everything seemed to download from that link you posted. I found the "ghostview" in the Workstation Applications and proceeded to download, but I don't think it took. I may uninstall Ghostview then do the reinstall?

Linux Guru
    Tom,

URPMI is a tool to install packages. Once you set it up, you can use it install packages off the net from either the command line or Mandrake Control Center. To set it up, first follow Chris's link. Then open Konsole and become root (type su, followed by root's password when prompted). Follow the steps at easyurpmi (Select your distro and a mirror for each source paying close attention to PLF, as that's where all the goodies like Reader are) and when you're done it will spit out some archaic looking commands in the grey box. Select and copy them and then paste them into Konsole (it's not crtl+v, it's shft+insert). You may need to hit enter several times, as there's several commands.

After that, you can install from the net without any issues. To install Acrobat Reader, type (as root) urpmi acroread. There's also a tutorial here on how to install software using URPM here:

http://linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19957.html

About 1/2 way down.
    If you need more specific help, let is know.
    Jeremy

Linux Guru
    I guess I didn't really answer your question in that last post. Yes, you can uninstall ghostview. What do you mean it didn't take?

I've heard that Kghostview for MDK 10.1 is a bit spotty. That could be why you're having so many problems. I'd suggest taking a look at XPDF or Adobe Reader.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast