Results 1 to 3 of 3
Hello, Im running 2011.0 and it has been working fine for several months. I ran an update a few days ago, it required a reboot which I did not do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 01-05-2012 #1
Problem booting after update/ power outage
Im running 2011.0 and it has been working fine for several months.
I ran an update a few days ago, it required a reboot which I did not do at the time. Two days later I haf a power outage and now it does't start correctly. I runs through part of the bootup and then throws me to the emergency mode.
I tried checking in /var/log/ but the files were either empty or had nothing worth interest in them.
When I booted in safe mode I could see a fatal warning stating FATAL Module ide_cd_mod not found.
I am now left to using my phone for internet access...
Does anyone have any suggestion what I could do? Which logs to check, how to get ide_cd_mod installed, etc. Any help is much appreciated.
- 01-05-2012 #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2008
If me. I gave up on rpm distros a while back because of Mandriva 2010.
I would do a file system check with a live cd (your choice) on the installed partition, making sure the installed partition is unmounted first so as not to damage it. Gparted can handle this in a live session. I have done this before on corrupted EXT2 file partitions on my persistent Linux USB drives before when they would not boot and drop me down to busy box. Google will explain what I am suggesting.
fsck from live cd
I would use a Parted Magic live iso for doing this if me.
I ran an update a few days ago, it required a reboot which I did not do at the time.
- 01-11-2012 #3
Hello everyone. To finish this thread for anyone who might run into this problem.
I did pleny of googling and found several different reasons, none of which really applied it turns out. (I did upgrade to kernel along the way 3.0.4 however).
The problem? For some reason my ide drives had been renamed to sdn instead of hdn. (It might be related to some threads I read about libata replacing ide_cd_mod.)
Boot in emergency mode, edit fstab and comment out all mounts except the boot/swap/home.
This gets you into the system the right way again.
Reenable one row at a time and do mount -a after each to see which one is not working. For me it was the raid set.
Do a fdisk -l and realize that they are no longer named hd but sd. (I actually didn't spot this until I compared mdadm --detail --scan --verbose to what I had in /etc/mdadm.conf)
Run mdadm --detail --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf to update the entry.
Make sure that the input in /etc/fstab is correct (for me I had to change /dev/md127 to /dev/md0).
And that's it!
I hope it can help someone else with the same problem.