Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Mandrake 10.0 on many machines. I have just built a new computer and installed on it. After installation it rebooted and loaded KDE with no problems. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE hangs when restoring session - Mandrake 10.0

I have installed Mandrake 10.0 on many machines. I have just built a new computer and installed on it. After installation it rebooted and loaded KDE with no problems. After I logged out and tried to get back into KDE the system stops at the restoring session part. Then the screen turns blue and does nothing, I have to re-start computer. I can use gnome with no problems. I have tried installing system 3 times with the same result. I cannot get KDE back up and running. I have never seen this before. Boots up and loads to the restoring session part everytime (85%) then system hangs. Please help.

Just Joined!
    I guess that the problem is an application that is saved in the restored session that has a problem and this leads to a non responding of the system. In that case you can turn off session restore when kde is starting. In order to do that you can go from kde to the Configure your desktop>Components>Session Manager and choose: On login=Start with an empty session. If you cannot open this from kde, start with failsafe session and as user type kcontrol.

Just Joined!
    I tried that today and it made it hang at 42%, at the loading periiphials part. Now it hangs there everytime. It also gives me an error message that knotify crashed while attempting to starts aRts or something like that. I can go into gnome and create another user. Then login to kde, but as soon as I log out and log back in as the new user, same thing. The only other odd thing I have found is that etho fails at start up everytime. May not be related.

Just Joined!
    I have found the problem. It was a problem with my on-board audio. Once I figured out what it was I disabled my on-board audio and have had no trouble at all logging into KDE. Now I just installed a pci sound card, configured and am up and running 100%. Thanks you for your contribution. Logan-crazy for linux.