Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux and just purchased Mandrake 10.1. I'm having trouble configuring my internet connection. I have a DSL modem. Any help would be great.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 internet trouble

I'm new to Linux and just purchased Mandrake 10.1. I'm having trouble configuring my internet connection. I have a DSL modem. Any help would be great....

What kind of DSL modem is it? ethernet, USB, wireless etc, also what have you tried so far?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    It's a USB modem. I've gone into every configuration option under internet configurations. I clicked on ADSL for my connection and it's giving me foreign countries as my modem provider. It's also asking me for ISP addresses which I do not know. I'm no computer wiz, but it seems like it's asking for network related things instead of a desktop.

Linux + USB modems = a very BIG headache

I never got my usb adsl modem to work, personly I'd go and get an ethernet car and modem, since this is well supported for linux.

You might want to check out http://www.eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en do see if there is a usb driver for you modem;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    What is the service provider you have. They might have a "replacement" modem available. Depending of your ISP, you wouldnt have to install USB driver and other stuff if they provide Ethernet Modem.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. My service provider is Bellsouth.

Linux Engineer
    Good... (i worked for one of there branch - Sympatico) simply call them regarding having a system that either doesnt have any usb port or that you changed for a laptop, and that the light on the modem doesnt lite up... theyll send an ethernet modem right away
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps