Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to run Mandrake 10.1 as a file server on a Windows 2003 domain? I am seeking a low cost file server and of course, all of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Is it possible?

Is it possible to run Mandrake 10.1 as a file server on a Windows 2003 domain? I am seeking a low cost file server and of course, all of the clients will be running NTFS 5.1. Am I asking too much?

Linux Engineer
    Hmmm this can be some fun!
    The file server would have to be partionned in Fat32 (compatible Linux/Windows or any other format you feel like using... as long as the are both compatible in RW) Including the File Server Using Samba to manage domain name, shouldnt give you too much of a problem.
    The "biggest" problem I see here, is the fact that you would have to use an "older" filesystem type for a file server

except that it can be a usefull idea! also to point something, if you intend in using your file server for professionnal purpose, I know Mandrake offer some great deal...

Post any other question you might have regarding this issue
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

You don't need to have a FAT32 or otherwise Windows R/W partition to use samba. You can configure samba to share everything on any filesystem (I've done it on Reiser3 and 4) read and write, etc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Thanks sarumont for the info.
    I didnt suspect samba to be the interface that "writes" to the disk. in this case there is no "cons" in using linux as a file server
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps