Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am using the old mandrake 9.1 and I am trying to install my new nec 3500 (that works good in Windows) and I try to set it up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with nec 3500 and mandrake 9.1

Hello

I am using the old mandrake 9.1 and I am trying to install my new nec 3500 (that works good in Windows) and I try to set it up in K3b. But it says that my dvd writer is only a reader Is there anyone out there with an idea of how I make K3b understand that it is a writer?

thankful for suggestion

/Henrik "heande" Andersson

Linux Guru
    My best suggestion is to find a newer version of Mandrake, or perhaps a new version of another distro. Until recently, the Mandrake forum was full of messages with problems worse than yours, but it seems the latest (10.1?) is much better for new users. http://www.linuxcd.org/ may be a good source for distro install CD's at low cost, to save the effort of downloading and burning your own. Often, very new hardware is a problem for Linux. The manufacturers do their deals with M$ pre-production, but it somtimes takes a little while for Team Linux to catch up. It may just be that you need to find and install the correct driver for your DVD-RW. If you don't know the manufacturer/model number of the DVD, I think you might be able to get it from
    Code:
    # less  /proc/ide
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better